• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced the pump still have a dead spot.

PSoffe

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend we were out at Tierra Del Sol. As soon as we head out on the trail the power steering became erratic with various dead spots throughout left and right turns. This was not consistent and slowly became a situation where it was seemingly limited to right turns only.

Once back on the highway and in 2wd it was limited to right turns only. Like hitting a hydraulic wall.

I replaced the pump and lines today, bled the system according to the norm and drove it. After about ten minutes the whine was back as was the dead spot when turning right.

Am I now and perhaps always looking at a new box instead of a pump? This one is only six month old. It was a reman as well.

Need some immediate help on this one. Have a three state offroad trip planned very soon.

I went through three crap rebuilt steering boxes before giving up and buying a new, big bore box from PSC, many years ago. Money well spent.
The only local rebuild shop I have had good luck with is Lee's Power Steering, in Santa Clarita.
https://leepowersteering.com

Thanks for the input. This reman unit is still under warranty so I'll swap it out. If I wasn't in the middle of another build I'd be more apt to replacing all with new.

Thanks again.

A Dodge Durango used gear box can be had for little money at a wrecker. That's what I did, very nice upgrade, bigger, more powerful, direct bolt in fit. 1998 and 1999 year model Durrango is what I recall to look for.

Back