• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ LIFT LIMITS WITHOUT SYE

j'ouvert93

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm new on the forums and in the process lifting my jeep.
I have a 93 2dr xj 5spd the Chrysler 8.25 rear end and was wondering how high could I lift the vehicle b4 needing a DS and SYE.
I tried searching but nothing specific for my year, ideally I would like to raise the vehicle between 4.5 & 6.5 without the SYE and was looking at Rustys & Rough Country, I was told by both retailers all I would need are the shims & a transfer case drop.
Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thanks.

I would say you would want to stay around 3-3.5 inches with out a SYE. I have little experience with Rusty's, and none with Rough Country, but there has been lots said here. Try searching for either one. From what has been said I would avoid both of them, but that is me.

What size tires do you want to run, you should base your lift off of that.

With 6.5 inches, you will definitely need an SYE, shims and a t-case drop will not do anything.

With 4.5", shims and a t-case drop *May* work, its a crapshoot.

Since you have a pre 97 XJ, you have the internal slip yoke on the output of the transfer case. These are less prone to vibes then 97+, but 3.5 is generally the limit. It all depends though, everyone experiences different things.

Tire size, maybe 33 inches, did a few reviews on both kits the feedback wasn't that bad, but then that was googled.

At 5.5" it was almost undriveable with just shims. Pinion angle was great, but I think I lost a couple fillings from vibes at 30-40mph. Just get an SYE. Hack and Tap is $100, you can use a stock front shaft if you can't or don't want to put the money into a new CV drive shaft on the rear.

At 5.5" it was almost undriveable with just shims. Pinion angle was great, but I think I lost a couple fillings from vibes at 30-40mph. Just get an SYE. Hack and Tap is $100, you can use a stock front shaft if you can't or don't want to put the money into a new CV drive shaft on the rear.

Seems like a cost effective route!

a front shaft will be too short. 5speed and 8.25. Some say grand cherokee v8 front shafts are an inch or two longer but i have had no success finding one with a u joint at the axle end.

He means there is a flange joint, rather than u-joint end on the shaft.

ZJ shafts are longer, I have one in the front of my Jeep.

IIRC the Rough country full leaf pack for the 4.5 comes with shims! I have the RC 4.5 on my jeep and i had a tc drop and shims didn't do squat. but i do have a 96

Do the earlier xj's pre 1997 have an advantage with the internal slip yoke?

Since you have a pre 97 XJ, you have the internal slip yoke on the output of the transfer case. These are less prone to vibes then 97+, but 3.5 is generally the limit. It all depends though, everyone experiences different things.

^^ thanks kinda missed that, think i'll try the 4.5 inch lift with the transfer case drop & shims and see what happens.

i have an 89, 5pd, with 4-4.5" rear lift that consists of 3" lift springs with shims and 1" boomerange lift shackles and do not have vibs. if i went higher i would plan on a SYE or a rear yoke from i believe a wrangler. one of the problems is that the ears of the yoke on the xj arnt long enough and the ujoint will bind if i go any higher. i think the wrangler yoke has longer ears on the yoke and provide better clearance.

I have a 93 auto, with the 8.25 aswell. I used the RE3.5 and ended up with some bad vibrations. I had to drop the t-case an inch and put in 2" shims. That got rid of the problem. Eventually I'll had an SYE but for now, money on other things.

Im at 5" with very little vibes on a 99 with saggy leafs, gonna get RE leafs soon then ill see if i need an SYE. has anybody had a slip yoke pull out of the t-case on 97+?? should i be worried about any other adverse effects without the SYE?

on my 93 I got the RE 4.5 kit threw in the Tcase drop and some shims and it rode fine... then i got around to putting in the SYE and holy crap what a difference... but you can survive with out one it just vibrated for me from dead stops

Back