• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rush

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
heard the limbaugh minute this morning.
The topic today was the folks buying the surprise canyon land to keep it open to the public and that the libs were still fighting to close the land.
The quote of the day
"You offroaders have used the libs favorite weapon against them, the courts, win or lose you're fighting a good fight, keep it up."
sweet.
National attention. Someone more informed than me call the show this afternoon.

It's a steep fight against the wilderness designation. In federal nomenclature 'wilderness' generally means 'no wheels' - not even for management or fire suppression. That makes retaining/gaining vehicle access of any kind difficult.

However, Surprise Canyon offers an opportunity - it has a public road. The Friends of Panamint Valley are claiming that status as a public road under California law precludes BLM jurisdiction and the wilderness designation cannot be applied to RS2477, the Inyo County road up Surprise Canyon.

That's a pretty good case for maintaining access up Surprise Canyon, although that would not necessarily apply to the other canyons - see BLM EIS here.

These two comments from the '82 EIS sound promising

page 37

page 41

It's possible the issue has been revisited within the BLM since '82. I haven't found a revised EIS, though.

In any case, I don't view any association with Limbaugh as a positive. As far as I could care for his opinion he can get off the air and spend the rest of his days stuffing his Rx pain reliever pill bottles up his arse. The globe is warm enough without more of his blow-hard ramblings.

just MHO :laugh3:

87manche said:
heard the limbaugh minute this morning.
The topic today was the folks buying the surprise canyon land to keep it open to the public and that the libs were still fighting to close the land.
The quote of the day
"You offroaders have used the libs favorite weapon against them, the courts, win or lose you're fighting a good fight, keep it up."
sweet.
National attention. Someone more informed than me call the show this afternoon.

"you offroaders" ? Who is "you offroaders" I take offense to that...

Just kidding, that's pretty cool. I'm glad to see that some people actually recognise that we are a usergroup that needs a place to play too.

KarlVP said:
"you offroaders" ? Who is "you offroaders" I take offense to that...

Just kidding, that's pretty cool. I'm glad to see that some people actually recognise that we are a usergroup that needs a place to play too.

In the case of Surprise Canyon, it's not 'offroad', it's on Inyo County public road RS2477. That's the point of the FOPV campaigne, and just another example of Rush missing the point.

ps - I hate Rush (in case I wasn't clear on that point :) )

XJ Dreamin' said:

He must have heard... the security is pretty obvious here in the office today.

Hoboken Hobo said:
He must have heard... the security is pretty obvious here in the office today.

Hah! If I was going to go after someone it would be for something serious, like dissin' my woman or spillin' my Guinness, or steppin' on my hat (why do they always go for the hat? :D ).

Rush can relax - It's more of a disgust than a hate, really - but there is definitely some hate.

XJ Dreamin' said:
Hah! If I was going to go after someone it would be for something serious, like dissin' my woman or spillin' my Guinness, or steppin' on my hat (why do they always go for the hat? :D ).

Rush can relax - It's more of a disgust than a hate, really - but there is definitely some hate.

LOL. My GF hates him too. I don't mind him though. I just wish he would let me smoke in his studio. Only place inside the building where smoking is allowed. Would beat the hell outta going downstairs everytime.

Well, I'm a dumbarse! I broke my own links. Here are the two sections of the EIS that are suposed to be in post #3. Sorry 'bout that :doh:

XJ Dreamin' said:
It's a steep fight against the wilderness designation. In federal nomenclature 'wilderness' generally means 'no wheels' - not even for management or fire suppression. That makes retaining/gaining vehicle access of any kind difficult.

However, Surprise Canyon offers an opportunity - it has a public road. The Friends of Panamint Valley are claiming that status as a public road under California law precludes BLM jurisdiction and the wilderness designation cannot be applied to RS2477, the Inyo County road up Surprise Canyon.

That's a pretty good case for maintaining access up Surprise Canyon, although that would not necessarily apply to the other canyons - see BLM EIS here.

These two comments from the '82 EIS sound promising

page 37

page 41

It's possible the issue has been revisited within the BLM since '82. I haven't found a revised EIS, though.

In any case, I don't view any association with Limbaugh as a positive. As far as I could care for his opinion he can get off the air and spend the rest of his days stuffing his Rx pain reliever pill bottles up his arse. The globe is warm enough without more of his blow-hard ramblings.

just MHO :laugh3:

If someone can edit #3 to replace the links, I'd appreciate it.

Holy mixed feelings batman!

To get national exposure rocks! Surprise Canyon is a battle that we have a chance of winning and we need all the help we can get. This doesn't just affect us West Coast guys this affects you too; every trail we get opened back up makes the next one easier.

But Rush "Michael J. Fox was acting and all drugs are bad unless it's me taking illegal Oxycotten" Libaugh. Ugh! :puke:

I don't hate him though. I think I just feel sorry for him ;)

Hoboken Hobo said:
LOL. My GF hates him too. I don't mind him though. I just wish he would let me smoke in his studio. Only place inside the building where smoking is allowed. Would beat the hell outta going downstairs everytime.

You kick his arse - he'll let you in. He's just a little playground loudmouth anyway. He needs a good long swirly and a pantsing once in a while to keep him honest.

IMHO
0385314744.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

XJ Dreamin' said:
You kick his arse - he'll let you in. He's just a little playground loudmouth anyway. He needs a good long swirly and a pantsing once in a while to keep him honest.

LOL. I do have to wonder about having that much security. It is not like anybody can get to the lobby elevators (card access controlled). And to get access from the elevators to our offices and studios, you have to have an additional card. Oh well

But good he mentioned it.

GSequoia said:
Holy mixed feelings batman!

To get national exposure rocks! Surprise Canyon is a battle that we have a chance of winning and we need all the help we can get.

all personal lfeelings aside, this is why I posted it.
Great that a national media outlet picked it up and encouraged it.

87manche said:
all personal lfeelings aside, this is why I posted it.
Great that a national media outlet picked it up and encouraged it.

Yeah, but...sheese...can't we do better than Rush?

Hoboken Hobo said:
LOL. I do have to wonder about having that much security. It is not like anybody can get to the lobby elevators (card access controlled). And to get access from the elevators to our offices and studios, you have to have an additional card. Oh well

But good he mentioned it.

He could just keep a bunch of taekwon dittos around him chanting "Doom on you..Doom on you..." at anybody who gets too cheeky.

red91inWA said:
I was hoping Ghetty Lee and the guys where doing a reunion tour.

DAMN!

I thought the same thing, or that it would at least be about the band, when I first saw it.

XJ Dreamin' said:
In the case of Surprise Canyon, it's not 'offroad', it's on Inyo County public road RS2477. That's the point of the FOPV campaigne, and just another example of Rush missing the point.

I'd like to clear up a little misinformation here. First, Surprise Canyon Rd, or the trail up the canyon to Panamint City, is not wilderness. When that area was made wilderness in the Desert Protection Act of 1996 the road up to Panamint City was left a non-wilderness cherry stem. So, it's not wilderness, and only an act of Congress can make it wilderness. The intent of Congress, and the BLM at that time, was to leave the route intact.

Secondly, it certainly is an "offroad" issue. We are filing a claim under the RS2477 law, but most certainly the fight is for the rights of offroaders to use the canyon and to have access to Panamint City. Offroaders bought the land, and offroaders are filing the lawsuit, and offroaders are raising the money to pay for the lawsuit.

RS 2477 is a national law that protects and preserves roads on governemnt land. The law was repealed a good number of years ago, but in repealing the law the roads that were already in existance were protected. Government agencies have chosen to ignore this law, and green groups act like it isn't there at all. Unfortunately, offroad groups and counties are having to sue to get RS2477 rights upheld. Many routes in the west will have a chance of staying open if the courts uphold the law, so this is a critical case.

I've been up Surprise Canyon in my XJ many times. It is a totally unique offroading experience, and Panamint City is a nice place to visit. I am also a property owner. It is nice to see this issue get some national attention, and I'm not surprised that it would take someone like Rush to mention it. I'm glad he gave it a mention.

Oh, and through two events this year, Best of the West '06 and the Rockin' XJ Jamboree in Nov, NAXJA members have donated $5200 to Friends of Panamint Valley to help pay for the lawsuit. $5000 was also donated last year from the same two events.

red91inWA said:
I was hoping Ghetty Lee and the guys where doing a reunion tour.

DAMN!
Why do you say reunion tour? They haven't broken up. As a matter of fact they're getting close to finishing their new album.

Back