• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massachusetts lift limits

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I may be moving to Massachusetts next summer and I hear it's one of those states that suffers from overzealous regulations vehicles no exception. For whatever reason they have lift height regulations? I was doing some digging and any vehicle with four wheel drive is exempt from wheels protruding past the fenders but not much reliable info on maximum lift height.

Any MA residents want to chime in on this one? At the end of the day I cant live where my daily driver isnt allowed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i found this formula for MA in my googling

lift limit = (wheelbase x wheel track) / 2200

so, (101.4 x 58) / 2200 = 2.67"
2.67 inches? My rig is about to be Rubicon express 3.5 and that's not even a monster lift! Hmmm well maybe I will be looking elsewhere

That's what I did. Posted in one waiting on others to accept me. Still nothing but i see like 6+ lifted jeeps hauling all over mass idk how that works

Hey Alex. I no longer live in Massachusetts, but I was previously a state inspector there. I can tell you that there are many vehicles with much larger tires than largest factory spec, and many that are lifted well beyond 2.67". Tires are not allowed to stick out past the body, but you can get away with it if you have larger aftermarket fender flares. My jeep that I had while living there was a 99 XJ with 4.5" lift, 33's and no fenders. Outside of this information, I absolutely never had an issue and even had a couple officers tell me how much they liked my jeep and ask where i liked to wheel. Dont be an asshole and you shouldn't have any issues.

Back