• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Professional Letter of Resignation help

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I will be parting ways with my current employer, and on rather short notice. I have a good working relationship with my direct boss, and several other above him, but this is only the Field side. My working relationship with the Office side is professional at best, save a few peopl, namely the VP and OM.

They(the employer) are expecting me to transfer to SoCal at the end of the month. My soon to be new employer is paying for me to commute for a few weeks from Tucson to Long Beach, and allowing me time off to find a suitable place, renting me a car for travel, renting an extended stay suite, and so on and so forth.

My plan is to have lunch with my Super tomorrow, and break it to him then. I'll provide an actual letter as well, but I have never been in this position, and do not wish to leave in an ill manner, nor do I wish to burn too many bridges.

If you all could give me some pointers as to how to appropriately broach the subject, as well as some languages to include in the resignation letter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Fergie

I always advise to never speak any ill. Just say it has been a pleasure etc. People can understand you bettering yourself. Just kiss some company butt and dont say anything bad or even "creative critisims". Youll do fine. It's easier then you think.

To whom it may concern(insert your favorite salutation here.):

While I have enjoyed my time working with ______________, co., I have been offered an opportunity that I simply cannot pass up, and will regretfully be leaving for this new position on_________> (Give 2 weeks notice to leave on good terms. At least offer, if they cut you loose earlier that's fine, but they have to treat this as a resignation on good terms and you won't lose vacation, sick time, insurance, etc. the minute you walk out the door. They probably have an employee manual and you should read that.)

I wish you all continued success in your future.

Most Sincerely,

You.

Or if they are real dicks and you know that you are screwed use this form.

Hey Ass-Wipe:

I quit. And I banged your wife, sister and mother last weekend. They all said I was better than you.

Kiss my big, hairy ass.

XO,

You

Fergie, it sounds like you're already on top of it. Here's a link to advice for writing a letter of resignation. From the same site, here are a few example letters. A Google search brings up a lot of info on the subject. Good luck!

When I quit my last job, we had meetings on Tuesdays. When they were done giving thier lines of BS, I jumped up on one of the workbenches, and said, ' I need this job like a need a case of the crabs. I havent showered in 4 days, and you can kiss my crusty zero.' I pulled down my drawers, and bent over. To everyones amusement, I walked out.

:D

CanMan said:
When I quit my last job, we had meetings on Tuesdays. When they were done giving thier lines of BS, I jumped up on one of the workbenches, and said, ' I need this job like a need a case of the crabs. I havent showered in 4 days, and you can kiss my crusty zero.' I pulled down my drawers, and bent over. To everyones amusement, I walked out.

:D

OK - now that has style!

The best way to keep from burning any bridges is to give a notice and just try to keep the whole situation one a professional level. Don't make anything personal. If your bosses take it personal, that's their problem. Not to mention it's unprofessional on their part.
I've had several people leave for "better" jobs over the last few years and have never had a problem with someone trying to better themselves. However, many of them gave little or no notice. Unfortunately, for whatever reason when their new careers didn't pan out and they tried to come back we didn't even consider them eligible for re-hire.
It's too bad. It's such a pain to train noobs that you would like to re-hire people when you can, but once I get burnt, it's not going to happen again.

Your letter doesn't need to be anything elaborate. Just brief and to the point. I must say, Canman had a good approach to the issue. :D

Last edited:
Well, I did it.

Just sent off a resignation letter to the appropriate people.

My Super already knows, so I expect several calls in the next few hours.

Thanks for the help, especially 5-90.

Long Beach here I come!

Fergie said:
Well, I did it.

Just sent off a resignation letter to the appropriate people.

My Super already knows, so I expect several calls in the next few hours.

Thanks for the help, especially 5-90.

Long Beach here I come!

Ah - I'd been waiting to hear back from you. How much of the draft did you end up having to change?

I cut out some of the info on the reasons behind the relocation to L.A., and adressed some specific issues regarding the complaints that I have had.

What is nice though, is the exit interview that will be conducted by the VP, and OM, so I'll be able to lay out specific policies that aren't quite kosher.

Fergie said:
I cut out some of the info on the reasons behind the relocation to L.A., and adressed some specific issues regarding the complaints that I have had.

What is nice though, is the exit interview that will be conducted by the VP, and OM, so I'll be able to lay out specific policies that aren't quite kosher.

Its really not worth trying to tell someone at a company what they are doing wrong if your resigning. Just resign and keep it as amicable as possible, unless (at your exit interview) they ask for and pressure you for real reasons why your leaving. But still, keep in mind that you never know who/what you may bump into in your future professional career. Keep those bridges open...

Andy in Pa. said:
Its really not worth trying to tell someone at a company what they are doing wrong if your resigning. Just resign and keep it as amicable as possible, unless (at your exit interview) they ask for and pressure you for real reasons why your leaving. But still, keep in mind that you never know who/what you may bump into in your future professional career. Keep those bridges open...
Andy, I've voiced my issues to the VP and OM before, in a professional manner.

I don't quite care too much anymore. I'll say my good-byes and be done with it.

Fergie said:
Andy, I've voiced my issues to the VP and OM before, in a professional manner.

I don't quite care too much anymore. I'll say my good-byes and be done with it.

I second the keep it as 'nicey-nicey' as possible. People have a wierd way off showing up again in this industry......

Fergie said:
Cool.

I'll be out next Sunday, for two weeks, then back to Tucson. We'll have to get together on the weekend or something.

I might have some weekend time the first or second weeeknd of Sept., not sure though all depends on if I get my city crap taken care of...

If so I"d be wanting to hit a rifle range to try out my "new" rifles...

Back