• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLAN B: Frank Raines on Sat APR 16

Bryan C.

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok folks, as you can see Hollister is closed this weekend. So Frank Raines off road park was suggested and is a great alternative to Hollister, and is still not too far away. I understand if some people can't make it out now, and I am sorry for the schedule conflict. Check back later in the year for another Hollister run.

So, since Frank Raines is a little farther away for most, I say we push back the meet-up time to 11:00. I will most likely be there early, say around 10 or 10:30. The 17 mile drive from I5 to the park through the canyon takes about 25 mins. From the 580/680 junction it is about 1 hour 15 mins. There is no air to refill your tires in the canyon, and cell phone service is very limited. Make sure to bring plenty of water and whatever else you may need with you for the day. Plan for food and BBQ is the same. There is still plenty of places for the stock to near stock Jeeps to do. I'll track down a number and call tomorrow just to be sure they are going to be open.

Here is a cut and paste of Letterman's post from the other thread.

Letterman said:
FRANK RAINES PARK INFO

LOCATION: Western portion of the county, 17 miles west of Patterson

From HWY I-5 take the Patterson off ramp and proceed west on Diablo Grande Parkway to Del Puerto Canyon Road (3/4 mile). Turn right and proceed 17 miles up the canyon to Frank Raines Regional Park.

From Modesto area proceed to Hwy 33 in Patterson. Turn south on Hwy 33, go two miles to Sperry Road and turn west. Sperry Road becomes Diablo Grande Parkway at I-5.

The park is 860 acres of trails, hill climbs, and various other challenges. The area is mostly steep terrain. Flush toilet restrooms, full hook-up developed camping, and a full kitchen recreation hall is available. Day use is sunrise to sunset. Further information is available by calling our toll free number (866) 648-7275 or the main Parks office at (209) 525-6750.

some useles links
http://www.co.stanislaus.ca.us/er/ohvfaqs.htm
http://www.co.stanislaus.ca.us/er/offrdparkcontents.htm

Someone should call, I was there with Muck 3 weeks back, lots of the park is closed from the fire, but the creek was open

I'll be there. I signed up earlier to bring dessert stuff, do we still have enough BBQ stuff now that not everyone is going? I can bring some hot dogs and buns if we need it.

FarmerMatt said:
I may be in. Gonna bring the boys along if I can break free. You gonna bring the rug rats Chuck? (no, I'm not talking about Scrappy). Never been to Frank Raines... Looks like fun.

Matt

I could, Terrie would have the house all to herself. Melissa does have a broken wrist though, so probably not, but I'll talk to Terrie.

With the house/moving stuff and all, I need some man time, maybe Skipper will show me what that's all about! :D

Wow Chuck I forgot about those videos. I may be in. I have to help someone move it the am but it only takes me 45 min to get there. So it all depends on when I get done etc.
For those who haven't been to FR it is fun but not super challenging. There is a creek bed that is dried up a bit most of the year (the videos) and many dirt roads that are swamped with dirtbikes, quads, and buggies.
Also it costs $2 to get in.

No need to do that. I remember everyday the day I laid my XJ on the side on the con. :laugh3:

ChuckD said:
I could, Terrie would have the house all to herself. Melissa does have a broken wrist though, so probably not, but I'll talk to Terrie.

With the house/moving stuff and all, I need some man time, maybe Skipper will show me what that's all about! :D
No problem. I know my boys would have a good time if other kidlets were there to play also, but maybe that's what Scrappy will be there for.:laugh3: I won't know if I'll make it before Friday, but if I do than I'll bring something along for the BBQ. It looks like FR may be even closer for us than Hollister.

Matt

ChuckD said:

I got your man time... bend over and grab the winch bi@#*...

Wait, wrong forum. I will bring some meat for the BBQ and beer and beer; crap, (any preferences for adult beverages?).

I am still in, for whats its worth.

I do make good entertainment for the kiddies! Bring those tikes of yours Matt!

I am still bringin the extra BBQ and we will round up some utensils and plates and napkins and a few misc. stuff.

I have 2 other trucks comming with Chuck and I. A Tacoma and another Xj.

Matt

Back