• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CONSTANT AA SYE seal leak!!

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody figured out the issue with the constant seal leakage problems with the AA sye? As searching does'nt give you EXACTLY what you want answered-I was thinking about using a seal saver sleeve kit-I believe the replacement seal number crosses over to a GM truck/suburban transfer case front seal? Dunno but I have put 3 seals in there allready and it is coming from the seal not the inner plastic spline seal.......:smsoap:

Of my 5 XJ's sitting in the driveway, 2 have AA SYE's and one has the PORC. No leakage on any of the 3. Which seal is leaking? If its the spline seals on the yokes thats a easy fix, just get new ones. The lip seal at the rear output has never given me issues.

No problems here in 10yrs.Just get a new seal and make sure the seal and the yoke are carefully/properly installed.Your issue is rare,but it does happen sometimes.

For all the AA conversions I sell & install.... I've only had 1 seal leak.

Check the surface for pitting. If present ... try a crocus cloth to clean it up. If you have wear grooving ... a speedi-sleeve or new yoke is your next course of action.

I like to coat the splines with a bit of "The Right Stuff" in addition to using the supplied rubber/star washer.

Joe

What brand and part number of rear output seal should be used ?
My original seal started leaking after several years. It was a double lip/spring seal.
I could not find a double lip/spring to replace it.
I used a single lip/spring seal-Timken 3946.
The new seal started leaking with in 500 miles.
The yoke was not grooved or damaged, but I installed a speedi-sleeve anyway.
No leaks so far.
Bruce

What brand and part number of rear output seal should be used ?
My original seal started leaking after several years. It was a double lip/spring seal.
I could not find a double lip/spring to replace it.
I used a single lip/spring seal-Timken 3946.
The new seal started leaking with in 500 miles.
The yoke was not grooved or damaged, but I installed a speedi-sleeve anyway.
No leaks so far.
Bruce
I used a CR seal and yup it leaked a few hundred miles after also-I believe I will go with the Timken 3946 or alt #473204 which I found out ask for a 1990 gmc/chevy suburban/pickup k1500 rear output transfer case seal np203-that is what the timken number crosses too and install the speedi-sleeve seems like winner!! Thank you
AA has it listed as a CR21061
Here is from Napa
Part NumberPriceAvailabilityTransfer Case Rear Output Shaft Seal
Product Line: NAPA Oil Seals
Interchange Mfg.: Carquest
Interchange Mfg. Part Number: 473204
Compare NOS 21061Price
Unit
:
:
Each
Qty
btnAddItemsToCart.gif
Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft Seal
Product Line: NAPA Oil Seals
Interchange Mfg.: Kaman Bearing
Interchange Mfg. Part Number: 473204
Compare NOS 21063Price
Unit
:
:
Each
Qty
btnAddItemsToCart.gif

the 21063 seal has a temp range from -40* to 400* Hmm...may go for that one allthough it is a slightly shorter seal where the 21061 is .5 deep the 21063 is .375-It would still sit flush and seal in the same area---

Last edited:
Back