NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 6th, 2020, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Any suggestions on rotors, calipers, etc after disc conversion

Im looking to do the disc conversion on my 98 xj with a Dana 35 here soon.

just planning a head and thought Id ask if there were any preferences or suggestion on which brand or stores to go with on the rotors, calipers, and pads. Prices seem pretty cheat on rock auto and amazon versus autozone etc. Just thought Id ask for person thoughts or suggestion on certain parts / stores

ill be getting the backing plates, prop valve, and caliper (core) from the junk yard.

thanks as always
Old January 7th, 2020, 00:20
NAXJA Member #1310

Re: Any suggestions on rotors, calipers, etc after disc conversion

I have had good experiences with the full Power Stop kits from Rock Auto.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 7th, 2020, 07:01
NAXJA Forum User

EBC yellow truck pads hands down!
Old January 7th, 2020, 08:20
NAXJA Member

I had good experience with the pads from Black Magic Brakes, and he's a jeep guy so good to support him

Rotors and calipers I prefer the Centric Premium, but harder to find them. BMB has them sometimes too.
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:42
NAXJA Forum User

so. I hate to be the stick in the mud... but drums are fine.... u don't really need disks. the gains are minimal at most... money better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
sorry just my 2cents here.
I thought about this myself years ago and some people on this forum talked me out of the idea. glad they did.
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:27
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3fan View Post
so. I hate to be the stick in the mud... but drums are fine.... u don't really need disks. the gains are minimal at most... money better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
sorry just my 2cents here.
I thought about this myself years ago and some people on this forum talked me out of the idea. glad they did.
I have to agree that rear discs do not provide much more powerful brakes and that the stock brakes can be made to work fine.
The biggest difference is not having to adjust the shoes and maybe a little more resistance to water.

Too much rear brake can cause rear wheel lockup in wet conditions. The Grand Cherokees equipped with rear discs have 4-channel ABS, to prevent lockup, a feature that cannot be transferred to XJs.
I would love to reactivate my 1997's ABS but with a 8.25 axle installed, no one has found a way to do this.

If you want to see a big difference in braking power, spend your money on upgrading to larger brakes with a WJ or Vanco conversion.
Under hard braking, most of a vehicle's weight is transferred to the front end brakes, the rear brakes do much less braking, bigger front brakes is where the real benefits are.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old January 8th, 2020, 13:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I have to agree that rear discs do not provide much more powerful brakes and that the stock brakes can be made to work fine.
The biggest difference is not having to adjust the shoes and maybe a little more resistance to water.

Too much rear brake can cause rear wheel lockup in wet conditions. The Grand Cherokees equipped with rear discs have 4-channel ABS, to prevent lockup, a feature that cannot be transferred to XJs.
I would love to reactivate my 1997's ABS but with a 8.25 axle installed, no one has found a way to do this.

If you want to see a big difference in braking power, spend your money on upgrading to larger brakes with a WJ or Vanco conversion.
Under hard braking, most of a vehicle's weight is transferred to the front end brakes, the rear brakes do much less braking, bigger front brakes is where the real benefits are.
This tread is 100% accurate, and so it the one above it. I too have disks in the rear and see no improvement in stopping distance over drums that was on the 8.25 I replaced. Well,...there is just one advantage,...one do not have to continually get under the XJ and adjust the rear brakes. There is nothing wrong wit going disks in the rear. Just do not expect to see any improvement over a good working set of drum breaks.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 8th, 2020, 13:34
NAXJA Member

There is an advantage for disc brakes on a 'C-clip' axle if you are unfortunate enough to break an axle shaft. Depending on the shaft damage they could enable a slow limp home or at least off the trail.

Old January 8th, 2020, 20:07
NAXJA Member

I notice the improved performance of discs, not having to adjust is quite noticeable on long trips where drums start to fade. Discs react better to mud too, self-cleaning and easier to clean with a hose than drums that full up with mud
Old January 9th, 2020, 05:04
NAXJA Forum User

Any suggestions on rotors, calipers, etc after disc conversion

Besides mud, cleaning, etc, another way disks are Superior is on long stops. Think interstate off ramp. Better heat dissipation keeps brake fade down. This is where I saw improvement in my setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old January 9th, 2020, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

'I would love to reactivate my 1997's ABS but with a 8.25 axle installed, no one has found a way to do this.'

It has been done with the Ford 8.8. I think the guys sig was Jordach88 or Jordan88.
Old January 9th, 2020, 13:09
NAXJA Member

Talyn did an ABS project on his 8.25, basically machined some ZJ rings so they could press fit over the 8.25 shafts without rubbing the tubes.

Supposedly an 8.8 can be done by machining off every other tooth on the differential tone ring. Something like that might work with the KJ 8.25 housing too (don't know).

XJ D44 can be done by swapping in shafts and parts from the ZJ aluminum D44 housing.

Last edited by ehall; January 11th, 2020 at 07:47.
Old January 9th, 2020, 13:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I had good experience with the pads from Black Magic Brakes, and he's a jeep guy so good to support him

Rotors and calipers I prefer the Centric Premium, but harder to find them. BMB has them sometimes too.
This is what I run, though I'm on an 8.8
Old January 9th, 2020, 15:26
NAXJA Member

I am thinking of doing the Terraflex rear disc conversion and upgrading the rear axle says at the same time.
Old January 11th, 2020, 04:25
NAXJA Forum User

i did a zj on to a 8.25. drums suck from a maintenance perspective.