NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old March 27th, 2010, 14:26
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

I also pulled the oem fan relay while the jeep was running and the fan stayed on. Dunno if that means anything........

This is the relay I'm using:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPRELAAMS____

Here are some pix of the setup. Let me know if you see anything wrong.......

(this is gonna be covered with a big wire loom)


down under the snorkel and hidden..



another loom with 6 wires skippin across the engine bay....



The web of wires that I need to fix up and make look a little more neater...




circuit breaker as close to the battery as I could get it. The fuse before it is for my aftermarket heater


where i'm gonna mount the timer after everything is fixed..


Tappin into the fuses. Gotta love those fuse taps..


That's about it. I want to fix up all those red wires going to the relay on the firewall cuz it looks a little out of place. Any tips on how to fix that up are welcome.

Last edited by muddeprived; March 27th, 2010 at 15:03.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old March 27th, 2010, 16:17
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Your wiring looks pretty good. I'm impressed. Now to get it all working like you want. I would go in little steps. Seems like it runs all the time basically.

If you disconnect the wire from the relay to the timer, does it turn off? Then you hook it back up to the timer and the fan runs?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old March 27th, 2010, 16:46
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Your wiring looks pretty good. I'm impressed. Now to get it all working like you want. I would go in little steps. Seems like it runs all the time basically.

If you disconnect the wire from the relay to the timer, does it turn off? Then you hook it back up to the timer and the fan runs?

Thank you. I wired up a few rockcrawlin RC's before so I have a little experience in that but understanding how all that stuff works is not my strong suit (but i'm improving!).

I started the jeep and disconnected terminal 86 and the fan shut off. I reconnected it and the fan started up again.

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old March 27th, 2010, 16:52
garr garr is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nassau County NY
Posts: 1,421
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Muddeprived, Why the Ignition switched +12V connected to the timer?

Last edited by garr; March 27th, 2010 at 16:56.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old March 27th, 2010, 17:56
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Next diagnostic test.............What happens if you have the TIMER TRG disconnected? Does it still keep running? Does it just run for a short time and then stop?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old March 27th, 2010, 18:10
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Next diagnostic test.............What happens if you have the TIMER TRG disconnected? Does it still keep running? Does it just run for a short time and then stop?
I started it up and the fan was running so I disconnected the trigger and the fan shut off. It took like 3-5 seconds for the fan to come to a complete stop. Does this tell ya anything?


While the trigger wire was disconnected, I tapped the trigger wire to the trigger terminal and the timer LED light popped on and fan stayed on for 10 seconds (with trigger wire disconnected still). I tapped the terminal again and same thing, 10 second fan. (i have the timer set for 10 seconds). So basically when the trigger wire contacts the trigger terminal it starts the timer whether it stays connected or not.

Last edited by muddeprived; March 27th, 2010 at 18:19.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old March 27th, 2010, 18:16
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr View Post
Muddeprived, Why the Ignition switched +12V connected to the timer?
I think when the ignition is shut off then it triggers the timer to start. I think......
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:33
fyrfytr1717 fyrfytr1717 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turlock, CA
Posts: 1,675
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

So here's the problem... you just confirmed it before lazyxj had a chance to get back to me on his switch. The original idea was to make it so that the timer was triggered when the ignition was shut off. Setting Jumper 4 to A told the timer to start when (ignition switched) voltage was removed from the trigger. The problem is, regardless of the setting of Jumper 4, the built in relay was being activated (thus turning on the fan) as soon as the trigger wire received power from the ignition. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the info provided by ELK wasn't very clear on whether the trigger activated just the timer, or both the relay and timer.

What is happening is that when you turn on the ignition, the relay is being activated by the application of 12V+ at the trigger terminal. It stays on because Mode A is waiting for this voltage to disappear before starting the timer. As soon as the ignition is turned off, the timer is triggered and the built-in relay shuts off when the countdown is over.

The easy solution is to attach the trigger wire to a momentary switched 12V+ source. When you want the fan to run a timed cycle, you hit the momentary switch and the fan runs for however long you set the timer for. (You just proved this works when you were tapping the trigger terminal with the trigger wire.) The only problem with this is that the fan does not turn on automatically as was originally desired.

I guess the next question is how badly do you want it to run automatically? It would involve including another relay in the circuit. It could be placed right next to the timer as all the necessary wires would be available there. I'm at work so I can't draw it out right now, but here's how it would go:

"Plan C"

The current trigger wire would be disconnected from the timer and re-connected to terminal 86 on this additional relay.
Terminal 85 would be connected to ground.
Terminal 30 would be connected to your constant 12V+ source.
Terminal 87a (N/C) would be connected to the trigger terminal on the timer.
Trigger Mode (Jumper 4) would be switched to Mode B.

Here's how it would work:

When you turn your ignition on, this additional relay would take power away from the trigger terminal on the timer. This would prevent the built-in relay from turning on. The fan would run only when the PCM told it to.

When you turn the ignition off, this additional relay would apply power to the trigger terminal. With J4 set to B, this application of power would trigger the relay to turn on and start the timer. The timer would do it's countdown and shut off the built-in relay when it hit zero. The trigger would still have 12V+ on it, but the timer would prevent the relay from staying on.

There may be a cleaner way, but if there is I can't think of it right now. I don't particularly like the complexity of having 3 relays in the system, but it's the only way I can see it working automatically.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:40
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Ok thanks for getting back to me with some great info. I actually understand what you are saying. I don't mind running a momentary switch to the trigger and just activate it when I turn off the jeep. The e-fan is barely ever running under normal driving conditions cuz the temp never reaches the set temp for the e-fan to kick on so it's basically "useless" at this point in time. I also never touch the AC or heater either so those never trigger the fan on. So if I hook up a switch, I just push it when I turn off the jeep (when I feel it's needed) and fan kicks on. My question is how do I wire up a switch? Do I just put the switch inline with the trigger wire? i don't know how many terminals the the switches have. Do i have to run one terminal to ground or just one end of the trigger wire on one terminal and the other end on the other terminal?

One last question, do i need to use 12g wire for the 2nd relay or can I just use the 16g all around? (i ran out of 12g so i'll buy more if needed)

I understand plan C just fine, no diagram needed for that. I want to try the switch first and see how that works so let me know how to wire that up and i'll give it a try.






Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr1717 View Post
So here's the problem... you just confirmed it before lazyxj had a chance to get back to me on his switch. The original idea was to make it so that the timer was triggered when the ignition was shut off. Setting Jumper 4 to A told the timer to start when (ignition switched) voltage was removed from the trigger. The problem is, regardless of the setting of Jumper 4, the built in relay was being activated (thus turning on the fan) as soon as the trigger wire received power from the ignition. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the info provided by ELK wasn't very clear on whether the trigger activated just the timer, or both the relay and timer.

What is happening is that when you turn on the ignition, the relay is being activated by the application of 12V+ at the trigger terminal. It stays on because Mode A is waiting for this voltage to disappear before starting the timer. As soon as the ignition is turned off, the timer is triggered and the built-in relay shuts off when the countdown is over.

The easy solution is to attach the trigger wire to a momentary switched 12V+ source. When you want the fan to run a timed cycle, you hit the momentary switch and the fan runs for however long you set the timer for. (You just proved this works when you were tapping the trigger terminal with the trigger wire.) The only problem with this is that the fan does not turn on automatically as was originally desired.

I guess the next question is how badly do you want it to run automatically? It would involve including another relay in the circuit. It could be placed right next to the timer as all the necessary wires would be available there. I'm at work so I can't draw it out right now, but here's how it would go:

"Plan C"

The current trigger wire would be disconnected from the timer and re-connected to terminal 86 on this additional relay.
Terminal 85 would be connected to ground.
Terminal 30 would be connected to your constant 12V+ source.
Terminal 87a (N/C) would be connected to the trigger terminal on the timer.
Trigger Mode (Jumper 4) would be switched to Mode B.

Here's how it would work:

When you turn your ignition on, this additional relay would take power away from the trigger terminal on the timer. This would prevent the built-in relay from turning on. The fan would run only when the PCM told it to.

When you turn the ignition off, this additional relay would apply power to the trigger terminal. With J4 set to B, this application of power would trigger the relay to turn on and start the timer. The timer would do it's countdown and shut off the built-in relay when it hit zero. The trigger would still have 12V+ on it, but the timer would prevent the relay from staying on.

There may be a cleaner way, but if there is I can't think of it right now. I don't particularly like the complexity of having 3 relays in the system, but it's the only way I can see it working automatically.

Last edited by muddeprived; March 28th, 2010 at 06:53.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:49
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

By the way, my fan is very loud. It runs like a little lawnmower motor. I was thinking of replacing it with an aftermarket e-fan that runs quieter. Any recommendations? (it's loud enough that it feels like the jeep is actually running when the ignition is off LOL)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:15
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

I played around with a swtich. I wired it up inline with the trigger wire. There is only two terminals on the momemtary switch so I just cut the trigger wire and put the switch in the middle and connected the two ends. I can switch on the fan as I please when the jeep is running but it doesn't work when the jeep is off, which defeats the purpose of it. Did I wire up the switch wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:16
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Now that we see exactly how the timer works, all you need to do is put a momentary switch in. Personally, I think a push button would be the coolest. You couldn't break it off. If it seems to be getting hot when driving rough terrain or towing (or whatever), you just hit the button and the fan will kick on for your preset time. Or you can just hit the button when it's a little warm and you stop. Light wire is fine for any of the timer/relay activation. You only needed heavy wire going to the fan motor itself.

Seems like you've got it now. I think a lot of people will be bookmarking this thread.

Thanks to fyrfytr1717 for leading us through this.


Whoops, I see from you latest post that I started the party too early.

Your timer trigger wire is always hot isn't it. 12V even with key off?

Last edited by winterbeater; March 28th, 2010 at 08:21.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:26
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Thinking about it now, that is what is wrong. We were trying to make key off trigger the timer. Now we have changed to plan B or C. With a momentary switch, we want to be hot all the time. It still should be fused, so a good source would be the power outlet plug in the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:41
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Thinking about it now, that is what is wrong. We were trying to make key off trigger the timer. Now we have changed to plan B or C. With a momentary switch, we want to be hot all the time. It still should be fused, so a good source would be the power outlet plug in the dash.
Ok so If I understand you correctly, right now I have the trigger set on an ignition switched 12v fuse (fuse tap). This is why it's not working. I need to scratch that wire and instead wire it up to a constant 12v fuse and put the switch inline with that. Right?

I have the Postive and Com terminal wired to a constant 12v fuse as well. I leave this alone right? It doesn't matter if the trigger, positive, and com terminals are all wired to constant 12v?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:21
muddeprived muddeprived is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?




Now you may start the party.

One last thing before I mount everything to it's new home. I bought an LED light from advance and I want to hook it up so it tells me when the fan is running. How do I go about wiring that up?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...A|GRP2020A____

It's a two wire indicator light.

Last edited by muddeprived; March 28th, 2010 at 09:31.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aux Efan drama!! tommyboy Modified Tech Discussion 12 March 4th, 2009 19:59
WTB: 10 blade efan 1998xj1985 SoCal For Sale 6 August 2nd, 2008 21:51
97 manual efan switch?? gixer Modified Tech Discussion 9 May 5th, 2008 21:32
first timer texasxj TEST Forum 1 December 2nd, 2004 07:56
xj oem tow hook brackets with support braces and hook also oem gas tank skid for sale joe88xj For Sale: Private Party Only. XJ ITEMS ONLY 8 August 9th, 2003 16:41


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014