NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post

Mine is triggered by energizing the relay's trigger with a positive 12-volt pulse. I do not have the timer's instructions on hand, what dip switch(s) needs to be changed to allow the removing of 12-volt power to trigger the timer.
I can give it a try, maybe, in the next couple of days if time permits.

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/960-instructions.pdf
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:01
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks fyrfytr1717. I was going to try to draw it up like that, but didn't do it yet. Very clear instructions.

I was thinking of just adding a pushbutton to the consol to activate the timer instead of having it kick on every time. The trigger can be set either to fire when power is removed OR introduced. You could also kick it on while driving. I suppose that would get us back into adding a diode.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Thanks fyrfytr1717. I was going to try to draw it up like that, but didn't do it yet. Very clear instructions.

I was thinking of just adding a pushbutton to the consol to activate the timer instead of having it kick on every time. The trigger can be set either to fire when power is removed OR introduced. You could also kick it on while driving. I suppose that would get us back into adding a diode.

How would you wire up a switch or push button with this setup?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Can I use 12g instead of 10g? The timer ports for the wire ends are very small and 10g doesn't fit in it.
12g should probably be fine, that's what the factory uses. Just keep the wiring run as short as possible.

Quote:
How do I access Batt F141 that's inside the PDC?
Not very easily, you'd have to actually open up the PDC housing which involves a whole bunch of frustrating snaps and clips. If I were doing this, I'd probably just do the inline fuse thing. A small ATC fuse holder is cheap and easy to stash somewhere. Most auto parts places only have ATC fuses up to 30A, but Radio Shack usually has 40A in stock. A larger Maxi fuse would probably be ideal, but the holders are a little more expensive.

Quote:
Is this right on the relay?

30 to battery or F141
87a to fan motor wire
86 to N/O on timer
85 to ground
87 is left alone
Close, 87a is the N/C terminal which means the relay would turn your fan off when energized. You need to use 87 (N/O) to supply power when energized. An easy way to remember this is that relays with dual outputs (say for a pair of driving lights) have 2x 87 terminals and no 87a.

Here is my favorite relay info site: http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Quote:
If it is the latter, it doesn't seem to be a big issue to me. One or two minutes on start up wouldn't harm much.
Yeah, probably true, just thought it might be annoying and would cause your engine to warm up slower.

Quote:
Thanks for everything man. That was perfect for my noobish arse lol. Let me know about the questions above and then I'll get started on this as soon as it stops raining.

No problem, I actually enjoy trying to figure this stuff out and then making it as easy to understand as possible.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post

Mine is triggered by energizing the relay's trigger with a positive 12-volt pulse. I do not have the timer's instructions on hand, what dip switch(s) needs to be changed to allow the removing of 12-volt power to trigger the timer.
I can give it a try, maybe, in the next couple of days if time permits.
Should be as easy as changing Trigger Mode (Jumper 4) from "B" to "A" so the relay is triggered when power is removed from the trigger terminal. I'm assuming when you say yours is triggered with a 12V "pulse" that you are using a momentary switch to trigger it? If so, the timer should function just the same for you even after switching the jumper. The only difference will be that instead of the delay starting when you push your switch, it will start when you release your switch.

Additionally, if you're already wired up this way, you are set up to answer my other question about whether the trigger controls both the relay and the timer, or just the timer. When you get a chance, switch your Jumper over to "A". Then try holding down your momentary switch and check to see whether or not this immediately starts the fan. Doing this would simulate turning on your ignition using my wiring diagram.

If the fan doesn't come on until you release the momentary switch, my wiring diagram should work as intended. If the fan comes on while you're still holding it down, my diagram needs the trigger reworked to keep the fan from running continuously while the ignition is on.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 14:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr1717 View Post

Close, 87a is the N/C terminal which means the relay would turn your fan off when energized. You need to use 87 (N/O) to supply power when energized. An easy way to remember this is that relays with dual outputs (say for a pair of driving lights) have 2x 87 terminals and no 87a.
Ok this confused me a little. what did I get wrong? 87a is wired to the N/C terminal on the relay and 87 to the (n/o) or am I reading this wrong?

30 to battery or F141
87a to N/C on timer
86 ??
85 to ground
87 is wired to N/O on timer

(i know this is wrong but i'm scratching my head here lol)

edit:

or is it the same:

30 to battery or F141
87a to fan motor wire
86 to N/O on timer
85 to ground

but 87 is wired to something to supply power? wired to what? maybe it would help if we put the numbers on the relay in the diagram that way others will know how to wire it up as well.

Last edited by muddeprived; March 23rd, 2010 at 14:34.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:23
NAXJA Forum User

30 to battery or F141 (always hot - if direct from battery needs a 40A fuse)
87 is to fan power wire
86 to N/O on timer
85 to ground

86 supplies the power to close the switch and that current passes from the timer to ground through the relay. That switch in the relay take the power from the battery to the fan power input.

86 is like your finger on the light switch that lets the switch turn on the light with power from 30. It makes contact from 30 to 87.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
30 to battery or F141 (always hot - if direct from battery needs a 40A fuse)
87 is to fan power wire
86 to N/O on timer
85 to ground

86 supplies the power to close the switch and that current passes from the timer to ground through the relay. That switch in the relay take the power from the battery to the fan power input.

86 is like your finger on the light switch that lets the switch turn on the light with power from 30. It makes contact from 30 to 87.
Alright so nothing is wired to 87a. Got it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 60 and sunny so i'll get started on this and see if I can blow up the jeep.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Alright so nothing is wired to 87a. Got it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 60 and sunny so i'll get started on this and see if I can blow up the jeep.
Have fun! Keep in mind though that my question about what the trigger actually controls has yet to be answered. I don't own a timer so I have no way of testing it myself. There is still the possibility that my diagram may need a slight modification on the timer's trigger input. The rest of it will all be the same, I just don't want you to get upset after spending all that time wiring if it turns out your fan runs continuously. It will be a relatively easy fix, it just sucks to have to rewire stuff you just wired...
Old March 23rd, 2010, 21:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Have fun! Keep in mind though that my question about what the trigger actually controls has yet to be answered. I don't own a timer so I have no way of testing it myself. There is still the possibility that my diagram may need a slight modification on the timer's trigger input. The rest of it will all be the same, I just don't want you to get upset after spending all that time wiring if it turns out your fan runs continuously. It will be a relatively easy fix, it just sucks to have to rewire stuff you just wired...
So if i get this wired up and the fan runs all the time then we go to plan B?

What's plan B?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 23:25
NAXJA Forum User

Plan B is to hook the timer up to a momentary switch. The thing I don't like about Plan B is that when you shut down the engine, you'd have to activate the momentary switch to start the fan, it won't be automatic. Keeping my fingers crossed that Plan A works correctly.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Plan B is to hook the timer up to a momentary switch. The thing I don't like about Plan B is that when you shut down the engine, you'd have to activate the momentary switch to start the fan, it won't be automatic. Keeping my fingers crossed that Plan A works correctly.
That's not much to ask for IMO. I'd take flipping a switch over a misfire anyday lol. I bought a switch from advance and i happened to pick the wrong one, which is a momentary switch. I didn't want one of those so I popped out the spring inside the switch and now it's a regular switch. I'll put the spring back in and use it if this calls for plan B.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:57
NAXJA Forum User

Gonna have a slight delay on wiring this up. I was at 8 different stores and no one carried a 40 amp fuse holder. Everyone has 40 amp fuses but no fuse holders. They only go up to 30 amp. What the.....

So i have to order the 40 amp fuse holder online and wait for that to get here before I can do anything.

Unless.....and 30 amp fuse is ok?
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.amazon.com/MAXI-Fuse-Hold.../dp/B00030CPOQ

Found that but it's 8g. I could still use it I think. No one has 10g 40 amp fuse holders for some reason....
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Gonna have a slight delay on wiring this up. I was at 8 different stores and no one carried a 40 amp fuse holder. Everyone has 40 amp fuses but no fuse holders. They only go up to 30 amp. What the.....

So i have to order the 40 amp fuse holder online and wait for that to get here before I can do anything.

Unless.....and 30 amp fuse is ok?
Yeah, 30A stuff seems to be the norm. Even my Blue Sea Systems fuse box (Rated for 120A total) is only rated at 30A per circuit. Could you use 30A? Honestly, I don't know. I don't know what the power draw is when the fan starts up. I do know the factory protects it with a 40A and seeing as the factory undersizes things whenever possible, I imagine 40A is the proper fuse to use. I'm sure there are folks out there that have used a 30A fuse in this application. Maybe they could provide some insight?

You can still wire a majority of this up today. The fuse should be located as close to the battery as possible. Wire everything else up and run your power wire just short of the battery. When the fuse holder shows up, put it in place and you're good to go. Might as well take advantage of the good weather...