NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 17th, 2019, 12:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Same old fuel pump woes

crap sorry didn't resize my image.... sorryyyyy
Old December 18th, 2019, 08:20
NAXJA Forum User

Do you have any photos of the ground?
Old December 18th, 2019, 09:07
NAXJA Forum User

@89Mock this is the diagram i used. its a lot easier to see where to look than in mine.
Its actually in the cab. The wiring passes up through the floor and then grounds out right up near the ebrake. I will personally be adding a direct to frame ground much nearer the fuel pump. Leave it to an engineer to think 4ft of ground wire with 3 connections would be better.....
Not sure yours will be exactly the same. Mine's a 2 door and there seem to be some slight differences in component location.
If yours doesn't match up to this then it should be located where the dipstick tube mounts. My buddy here has a 4 door same year as mine. His is on the tube, mines at the e brake mount. I would also look at your main ground too. Mine was just dirty enough to lose a bit of ground there.
Old December 18th, 2019, 21:51
NAXJA Forum User

James, nice Sport.
Looks like my old 89, except mine was a bit
more rusty. I now have a 96 2-dr Sport (Green).

I love the 2-doors.
Old December 19th, 2019, 15:49
NAXJA Forum User

Oh wow. Weird spot for a ground. I was thinking of replacing my pump because I think it's hard to start even though it starts every single time. It just cranks longer than I PERSONALLY think it should and it just gives me that "one of these times it won't start" feeling.
Mine is a 4 door. The diagram is a start. Maybe I'll just track it all down one night in the near future. I already did the ones on the engine dip stick.
Old December 19th, 2019, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

I spliced into the ground and re-grounded it to the frame when I was dealing with my fuel pump issues. would recommend this as an option.
Old January 8th, 2020, 09:42
NAXJA Forum User

@ Runnin'OnEmpty, thanks. I have wanted one of these since 89. I have just a few more things to tend to and the Land Shark will be 100%. Have 2 gaskets and about 3ft of vacuum lines to replace and he's done.
@blu3fan, I am aching to have the damned time to get back to the fuel pump. All of the factory wires are losing connection at the plug. I am planning on cutting both ends and getting rid of the 3plug. Then Im gonna attach male and female snap connections I can water proof with heat shrink. Do ya think it will dork anything up if I run duel grounds? Like one to the harness and one to the frame?
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiousjames View Post
@ Runnin'OnEmpty, thanks. I have wanted one of these since 89. I have just a few more things to tend to and the Land Shark will be 100%. Have 2 gaskets and about 3ft of vacuum lines to replace and he's done.
@blu3fan, I am aching to have the damned time to get back to the fuel pump. All of the factory wires are losing connection at the plug. I am planning on cutting both ends and getting rid of the 3plug. Then Im gonna attach male and female snap connections I can water proof with heat shrink. Do ya think it will dork anything up if I run duel grounds? Like one to the harness and one to the frame?
no. I have the same setup running for almost a year now.
I grounded on a bolt I found near the fuel filter.
ran 12v from the battery to the pump.
Trace the Sender wire to confirm which is which. then just splice that back into the harness that is already there on its own.
I have my switches in this. it looks dope.however I am thinking about wiring it back into an ignition hot because I am a little tired of turning it on and off again...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherok...ss!85008!US!-1
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

I took mine out 12 times in 2 months diagnosing my own issues. Im a pro now... I can remove the pump and have it fully out of the car in less than 10mins. wires and tubes detached.
Lay down from the back of the car. reach up with one hand from in front of the diff and one behind. use a big flat head and a hammer to spin the lock ring.
its easy once u do it once or twice.
LOL
Old January 10th, 2020, 05:21
NAXJA Forum User

well... I got it spliced to ground on the frame. Worked great for about 10 minutes. Right back to whine. It seems to happen faster/more often if I am really getting my foot in it...
Guess i will just have to turn the stereo up...