NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 27th, 2018, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

High Mount Tie Rod Systems

I have a 1990 XJ, 5.5 inch RE lift, 33 inch tires, Currie heavy duty tierod ends and bar, When I got the XJ the same tie rod was bent by prior owner, I replaced with same. But on our seven day trail drive I hit it slipping off a rock and it is bent a bit, not bad, we adjusted length to compensate the toe in for the long highway ride home.

Before I replace it again, what are other options to protect or relocate the tie rod?

It seems the tierod is pretty vulnerable on our lifted XJs, what solutions are there? Skid plate for lifted jeep?, A stock front skid wont really work, I also have sway bar drop mounts.
How about a high mount tierod system, which type? What's involved with a higher tierod mount conversion?

I am brand new to this, advice is much needed! Thank You!
Old November 27th, 2018, 21:16
NAXJA Forum User

High Mount Tie Rod Systems

Iím currently messing with the cavfab my self, itís beefy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 27th, 2018, 22:10
Stranger

Re: High Mount Tie Rod Systems

This is kind of a cruel deep hole down which to send someone, but it is something you should at least consider: Do a search on WJ brake conversion. Better brakes and better steering geometry. If you have more money than time SFR has a complete package that will make your life easier, or you can piece things together with junkyard and aftermarket parts. The piecing things together is the deep hole. There are a number of different ways to skin this particular cat.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old November 28th, 2018, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

an aluminum tie rod would be the cheapest investment if you are happy with your current steering geometry.
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:46
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
an aluminum tie rod would be the cheapest investment if you are happy with your current steering geometry.
This

The stinky fab aluminum rod that Iím running is beefy. Per their videos bends right back too!
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old November 28th, 2018, 13:33
Jeepoholic

Another SFR vote. Either the Aluminium TR or WJ Conversion.
Old November 29th, 2018, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

The solid aluminium tierod test videos I have seen are impressive, the rod bends, but bounces back when load is removed. Thanks for suggesting that, I never knew these were made of aluminum, and it would resist bending so well.
Are there any downsides to the aluminum tierods?

Here is one outfit linked below that makes them for the Currie style tierod ends, which I have. Any comments on this product?

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/utr-tja/

Thanks!