NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 19th, 2020, 18:52
NAXJA Forum User

Rolls in gear

Hello to all. Thank you all in advance

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee xj 4.0 automatic transmission

I recently installed an sye kit. I installed the kit with the transfer case out of the vehicle. Once I installed the transfer case back into the vehicle I started it up and put it in gear and it wouldnít move. When I went to put it in park it made a grinding noise before going into park. I got underneath with someone in the cab shifting the transfer case through each gear. Grabbing the drive shafts during the process making sure it was going into each gear.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Initially I though it was the shift fork in the transfer case but before I disassemble it I wanted to get some insight. It is shifting into 4wd.
Old June 20th, 2020, 05:44
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Rolls in gear

If the transfer case is grinding, it is not fully engaged. Disconnect the 4x4 floor shift mechanism and operate the range lever by hand from underneath. You may need a prybar. 2wd is forward/up, 4-Lo is rearward/down. Confirm the t-case will engage and drive in each operating mode.

If it functions correctly in all modes, adjust the 4x4 shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:50
NAXJA Forum User

The transmission grinds only when putting it in park. Iíve cycled the shift left on the transfer case through all gears and the transfer case is functioning properly. But when I get in the car and start it and put it in gear the Jeep wonít move. Everything Iíve read points toward fluid level in the transmission. When I pulled the transfer case I did loose some fluid out the back of the transmission. But I have also put some back in. I donít want to over fill. I let it run for thirty minutes cycling it through the gears couldnít get an accurate reading in the dipstick. Is it possible that the shift solenoid is clogged? Iím at a loss.
Old June 20th, 2020, 09:51
NAXJA Forum User

It's likely internal to the tcase. The trans grinds going into park because it is disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain and you can not stop the internals from spinning by stopping the jeep as usual. Same reason the jeep won't move in gear. The tcase is essentially stuck in neutral.
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:28
Freakish Hand Strength

Fill the transmission to proper level with Dexron-III/Mercon trans fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO1990renix View Post
The transmission grinds only when putting it in park. Iíve cycled the shift left on the transfer case through all gears and the transfer case is functioning properly. But when I get in the car and start it and put it in gear the Jeep wonít move. ............
The symptoms described are most commonly associated with misadjustment of the transfer case shift mechanism.

Quote:

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old June 20th, 2020, 19:09
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you all for the help. I read a lot of posts before posting. I adjusted the transfer case link by loading the bolt and switching it into 2wd then tightening the bolt. So I don’t think it’s is A linkage issues. When I pulled the transfer case I did loose a little fluid. That’s what led me to believe it was fluid related. But I added fluid and got nothing. Could it be shift solenoid? Or something clogged? I am using Castrol dex 3
Old June 21st, 2020, 08:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Fill the transmission to proper level with Dexron-III/Mercon trans fluid.

The symptoms described are most commonly associated with misadjustment of the transfer case shift mechanism.
Maybe the driveshaft is too short?
Old June 21st, 2020, 08:24
NAXJA Forum User

Remove the shift linkage from the arm on the tcase. Using a pry bar or hammer, move the arm to the far forward position and test again. If it still grinds going back into park the problem is within the tcase
Old June 21st, 2020, 08:45
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
Maybe the driveshaft is too short?
Maybe the DiLithium Crystals are depleted.

Quote:

Old June 21st, 2020, 09:50
NAXJA Member

Did you check that the TC shift rail was the correct length ? IIRC the rail may hit the new SYE shaft housing on some year OTCs.
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old June 21st, 2020, 10:22
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Did you check that the TC shift rail was the correct length ? IIRC the rail may hit the new SYE shaft housing on some year OTCs.
Good point, and this would likely be proven or disproven by manually engaging all the modes of operation by operating the range lever with the shift mechanism disconnected.

Quote:

Old June 21st, 2020, 11:30
NAXJA Forum User

I’ve disconnected the linkage and shifted it manually though all the gears. 2wd and spin the driveshaft by and car moves. 4wd spin the frint driveshaft by hand and it moves the Jeep. I did cut 1” off the rail to fit the sye case. I did have to delete the vacuum lines because the sye case doesn’t use them. I just unplugged the battery and touched the cable together and reconnect and no change. I’m really at a loss. I’m going to eat lunch then go pull about the transfer case.
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:43
NAXJA Forum User

Do you think it would be transfer case internal issues if the front drives still engages in 4wd?
Old June 21st, 2020, 19:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Maybe the DiLithium Crystals are depleted.
The Flux Capacitor was not offered on this model year.
Old June 21st, 2020, 19:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Iíve disconnected the linkage and shifted it manually though all the gears. 2wd and spin the driveshaft by and car moves. 4wd spin the frint driveshaft by hand and it moves the Jeep. I did cut 1Ē off the rail to fit the sye case. I did have to delete the vacuum lines because the sye case doesnít use them. I just unplugged the battery and touched the cable together and reconnect and no change. Iím really at a loss. Iím going to eat lunch then go pull about the transfer case.
Quote:
Do you think it would be transfer case internal issues if the front drives still engages in 4wd?
I think you should have already tested the inputs and outputs before installing the T-Case. At this point, disconnect the rear driveshaft, does the output spin freely with the engine off and transmission in park?