NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 5th, 2018, 16:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 2000 engine compartment wiring harness

Got her painted looks good but I need to add a clearcoat when I get back. Will do a gun write-up in the autobody section.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:22
NAXJA Forum User

2000 engine compartment wiring harness

Which spray gun did you use? Iíve heard the 3M 16580 is a very good, affordable paint gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 6th, 2018, 12:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mesa XJ View Post
Which spray gun did you use? Iíve heard the 3M 16580 is a very good, affordable paint gun.

That's the one, Accuspray!
Old March 6th, 2018, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

2000 engine compartment wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
That's the one, Accuspray!

I was thinking of an electric sprayer until I heard about that sprayer. Itís got really good reviews from DIY to paint and body shops.
I need to respray two of my Jeeps, tough finding the time or desire to do all the prep work is holding the projects off. When my friend had a spray booth we repainted my first car, incredible amount of work to do it right.

Old March 6th, 2018, 21:52
NAXJA Forum User

I talked to the paint store today,.Instead of adding a clear coat (and since I have paint left over), they recommended spraying on a few more coats of color(already have 3 coats) and just doing a "cut and buff" first.
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:30
NAXJA Forum User

Well I shot 3 more coats on yesterday and I will start re-installing it all. I will try a "cut/buff" later, I need to get this one running so I can install a shift kit on my original 2k!
Old March 28th, 2018, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

I've got the spare jeep all put back together now. As I prepare to rub out the paint job, I will have to work on the harness for this one. Between my old harness and the Cali one I bought, I will try to make one good harness.
Old March 29th, 2018, 07:28
NAXJA Forum User

What it looked like before, and what I've been up doing!

Old April 8th, 2018, 21:30
NAXJA Forum User

I haven't gotten a lot done. Tues I received my new 9" buffer machine(apparent my old one was to fast) and Sat I finally received my buffing pads! Waiting till I can start and move it out of the sun before I do and cut/buff.

In the mean time the harness has been a major P.I.T.A., all 3 harnesses have some damage from the area around #5-6. It is done now except I need more split-loom!

Old April 9th, 2018, 07:59
NAXJA Member

Damage around 5-6? Please explain

If you found the same damage on 3 different harnesses then it stands to reason that many of us should look there when troubles start

Right now I'm having troubles with code P0432 -- I have new pre-cats -- when scanning the o2sensors I get intermittent readings from sensor 1 bank 2 -- which would coincide with P0432 -- Without looking at it I think the bank 2 sensor 1 wiring comes from that 5-6 injector area in the harness

Thats the 1st place I'll look -- hopefully you just saved me from days of searching for an electrical gremlin -- Thanks
Old April 9th, 2018, 08:32
NAXJA Forum User

The common damage is above the cylinder 5+6 area, I've heard a lot a similar comments!
Old April 9th, 2018, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Glad to see someone else out there who still knows what a nailboard is and how to do proper harness work.

BTW... I am seeing more and more issues w/ people having broken and shorted wires in the area of cyls 5 and 6 and from there to the firewall as well. Common issues include basically any electrical fault code (stuck high, stuck low, intermittent, lack of function, etc) on anything that runs off that harness:
- injectors
- MAP (on 96+)
- upstream O2(s)
- IAT
- CTS
- TPS
- IACV
- CPS

off the top of my head. Probably others. It's due to the harness flexing every time the motor moves or vibrates, since it jumps from the firewall to the top of the head right there. It most commonly affects injector drive circuits and TPS from what I've seen but can affect any of the listed items. Typically I have people report they are getting a misfire on a cylinder or two, or a circuit failure code, and have already tried replacing the component. When they dig into the harness they find wires broken, chafed, and/or partially broken.

I recommend that people use quality sealant lined heatshrink butt splices (marine grade is great) and splice in a foot or two of replacement wire of the same gauge. Ideally, use the high strand, high temp silicone wire typically used by RC car enthusiasts, it's far more resistant to metal fatigue than the factory wire is.
Old April 10th, 2018, 16:41
NAXJA Forum User

Out of my 3 harness's, NONE had any degradation anywhere else. All of the damage on all 3 is in the fuel rail section, nothing on the firewall, the starter/oil/dist, coil pack, or the rear trans sensors. All the damage is in the rear half so cumulative heating by the wires is not out of the question, but I have to believe it's mostly exhaust heat.

Kastein......from the start of this thread I wanted to build a new "bulletproof" wiring harness! I found that sourcing all the connectors/terminals to "almost" impossible to find!
Old April 16th, 2018, 21:34
NAXJA Forum User

It's Alive !!

Finished the harness Sunday and got it on the road. I took it to emissions early today and everything passed but the CEL. Got home and took the cluster out and sure enough it was a blown bulb. I took it back this evening and it passed so tomorrow I'll go get my title and registration done!