• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unlocking

Ironmen77

I have a 1990 vac disconnect d30. Just installed a EZ-Locker (used but the gears are in great shape. In testing it on a steep creek bank the passenger side would turn about a quarter of a turn and unlock then lock then unlock. The driver side stayed locked.
Would this be a problem with the little springs that engage the gears? Would weak springs let it unlock after it had engaged?
Thanks

Zuki-Ron said:
I might be inclined to suspect the disco as the problem exibits itself on the pass side.
Ron

like the disco not fully engaged? will the inner axel move in far enough to be a problem?

Ironmen77 said:
like the disco not fully engaged? will the inner axel move in far enough to be a problem?

Yes, if the disco is not fully engaged it may slip. The inner axle should not move inboard. If there was a retaining clip on it, it was not neccesary to re-install it as the outer axle will hold it in place.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
Yes, if the disco is not fully engaged it may slip. The inner axle should not move inboard. If there was a retaining clip on it, it was not neccesary to re-install it as the outer axle will hold it in place.

Ron

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. There was no c-clip on this axle. The friend who took off and reinstalled the disco thought there was alot of space between the two axle splines and that the collar wouldn't be catching on much. I'll check.

This morning I took off the shift motor slid the collar onto both splines wrapped a hose clamp behind it to lock it in position. Disconnected and pluged the vacuum lines, reinstalled the vac disconnect. Drove back up the creek bank, same results on the passenger side, 1/4 turn then pops (unlocks) did this about half way up then stayed locked then popped as I turned left at the top of the bank. This popping sounds (from behind the steering wheel) like the locker slipping.
Have an ez-locker in the back it's working fine.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84949&highlight=ez+locker

Ironmen77 said:
This morning I took off the shift motor slid the collar onto both splines wrapped a hose clamp behind it to lock it in position. Disconnected and pluged the vacuum lines, reinstalled the vac disconnect. Drove back up the creek bank, same results on the passenger side, 1/4 turn then pops (unlocks) did this about half way up then stayed locked then popped as I turned left at the top of the bank. This popping sounds (from behind the steering wheel) like the locker slipping.
Have an ez-locker in the back it's working fine.

Don't know about yours, but I just went through a used EZ, then a new EZ. Under power, there is no reason it should unlock. The clutches are ramped and the cross shaft cams them into being locked. The springs will not cause this. Read the thread above, call Tractech

Talked to Randy's ring and pinion today. There best advise was check for bent axle tube, tire pressure and the gap between the clutch halves. .145-.170
Most often according to him was the axle tube being bent. He said with spider gears it's not as noticeable but with a lunchbox locker it's critical that they be straight.
Other than checking the gaps between the clutches top to bottom for differences. What is a good way to check for a bent tube?

Back