• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee No power to AC clutch

1990WhiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, the Ac in my 1990 Cherokee doesn’t work, it blows but not cold air, I just had it charged and still only getting hot air. The compressor isn’t getting power but if i put power on it, the clutch will engage. I’ve also switched relays and I know the relay is good, but I’m not getting power to the 85 pin on the relay. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The 85 pin is only going to get power when the engine is running, same circuit as the fuel pump. Orange and black wire.

Air-Cond.png

Where is this diagram from? This style is MUCH more legible than what I've found online so far. Is from a FSM? Who sells them?

I found the "mj1988electricalmanual" online a very long time ago. A quick Google search might turn up a copy someplace. If not PM me with an e-mail and I'll send you a PDF.

Mostly the same as an XJ, the differences are usually minor.

The orange black wire comes from a splice, fuel pump ballast resistor, evaporator canister solenoid. No idea where the splice is, maybe follow that orange black wire backwards from the clutch. Or from the relay 85 pin towards the clutch. Be careful more than one orange black wire in the harness. Best guess is it would be closer to trace the wire from the 85 pin, likely closer to the splice.

Unscrewing and flipping the relay block is no big deal, just be careful. It gets pretty darned corroded under the relay block over the years.

Back