NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > North Atlantic Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

North Atlantic Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2019, 11:18
NAXJA Member

Re: beater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock2pus View Post
Are you running a flowkooler water pump?
Yes, made no difference. Swapped a Gates back in for testing, no difference. FK back in it now.
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:38
NAXJA Member #920

I notice mine gets a bit warm climbing the mountain on PA501, but like Rich's 89 used to do, once I crest the hill and the load comes off, it starts coming back down.

That reminds me, I need to lay in a fan clutch before NACFest (can't remember how old mine is, and want to have it on-hand in case I need it).
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:48
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
I notice mine gets a bit warm climbing the mountain on PA501, but like Rich's 89 used to do, once I crest the hill and the load comes off, it starts coming back down.

That reminds me, I need to lay in a fan clutch before NACFest (can't remember how old mine is, and want to have it on-hand in case I need it).
Rob I've got one in hand off that 00 I'm parting out. I'll bring it up if you want.
Old June 11th, 2019, 10:35
NAXJA Member #920

Thanks, but I think I might just get one this weekend and put it on, rather than risk a boilover on the drive out - last time I drove it, it was creeping up a little while I was sitting still idling, and after getting it rather hot while limping it the one mile to the shop with no belt (siezed alternator; didn't hurt it but it belched out a bunch of coolant and rattled me a little) I think I'd rather play it safe and do it sooner rather than later.
Old June 11th, 2019, 17:20
NAC VP

Just put a new battery in Fiona and she's been sitting here idling for 45 minutes and the electric fan has never even kicked. She's just cool I guess.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 18:51
NAXJA Member

Had a great time at NACFest. The jeep ran great!

The only real problem was the sector shaft seal blew out on Saturday morning but I was able to deal with it by looping the power steering pump lines and driving out on manual steering. Thanks to Rock2pus for pulling a spare gear box from a donor at the park office even though I didn't get a chance to swap it.

Replaced the seals yesterday and seems to be holding. I found a couple more problems today while putting it all back together. First, the driver side UCA bolt was absent / gone, no idea where it went (edit--still visible in the pic above). And the fan wires fell out of the connector while I was reinstalling the fans over the gear box, so I got the chance to rewire the connector as well.

We have a neighborhood parade on Thursday and then possibly heading to the SEC Crawl in Harlan afterwards (not sure yet).

Last edited by ehall; July 3rd, 2019 at 10:21.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:36
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Had a great time at NACFest. The jeep ran great!

The only real problem was the sector shaft seal blew out on Saturday morning but I was able to deal with it by looping the power steering pump lines and driving out on manual steering. Thanks to Rock2pus for pulling a spare gear box from a donor at the park office even though I didn't get a chance to swap it.

Replaced the seals yesterday and seems to be holding. I found a couple more problems today while putting it all back together. First, the driver side UCA bolt was absent / gone, no idea where it went (edit--still visible in the pic above). And the fan wires fell out of the connector while I was reinstalling the fans over the gear box, so I got the chance to rewire the connector as well.

We have a neighborhood parade on Thursday and then possibly heading to the SEC Crawl in Harlan afterwards (not sure yet).
Glad everything shook out ok for you, Eric!
Funny, I've lost that same bolt twice....
If ONLY that was my issue this year.
Old July 5th, 2019, 08:22
NAXJA Member

Waited a few days before posting. It doesn't seem like anything significant blew up in the Redhead gearbox, it just picked up some mud in the sector shaft seal. Fkng mud. Also the shaft had some wear that let the mud get in so I sanded and polished the shaft prior to repair. I'm less impressed with the rebuild quality after seeing that wear ring though.

Old July 5th, 2019, 10:32
NAXJA Member

local Jeep club in a neighborhood parade, fun time

nothing broke!