• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Laredo 4x4 4cyl 5-speed in SE WI. $1500frm.

Andx0r

NAXJA Forum User
1986 XJ Laredo 4x4 4cyl 5-speed in SE WI. $1500frm.

1986 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4-door wagon with the old AMC 2.5l 4-banger engine and a 5-speed manual gearbox. Black with a red interior. Aftermarket manual sunroof. Power windows (except for the passenger front) and locks. Rear wiper/washer work great. Roof rack. ZJ 'Canyon' 5-spoke alloy wheels from 90s Grand Cherokee. This is an awesome snow truck. About 157k miles on body, about 120k on engine.

Starts, runs, drives, steers, and stops excellently. Passed emissions test when I bought it. Doesn't shake or wander on the highway.

Truck spent most of it's life in Texas, only about 5 years in WI, so the truck is free from rot. minor surface rust here and there.. Underside is solid.

I'm looking for $1500 firm, cash only. If I can't sell it, I'll just keep dailying it. I'm only selling because I'd like something that isn't a truck. I'll consider a trade for a car with a manual trans. I won't trade the truck+cash though.

Stats:
AMC 2.5l 4 swapped in from 1988 Jeep. Different belt setup and oil filter.
Aisin AX5 manual trans
NP207 Command Trac transfer case (4x4 works perfect)
Dana 30 front axle, Dana 35 rear axle with trak-lok LSD.
Class 3 tow hitch + harness
Transfer case skidplate
'Apache' Radial AT offroad tires with about half tread left.
Ultimat cargo area mat.
CD player
Cool aluminum Wrangler valve cover to replace crappy OEM plastic one.
Optional 20 gallon fuel tank. Combined with the 25-26 mpg I get on the highway, this gives a pretty impressive range.

Parts I've replaced:
-Starter (Bosch style)
-PS pump, hose, and reservoir
(I bought it with a struggling original starter and groaning power steering, eventually got sick of both)
-air filter
-fuel injector o-rings
-battery (Werker Exide)

Parts previous owner replaced and are less than 1 year old:
-rear leafs (used)
-plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor
-brakes and e-brake cables
-clutch + throwout
-fuel injector
-waterpump, thermostat
-serpeintine belt
-radiator and heater hoses
-valve cover+gasket (aluminum cover)
-all fluids

Bad stuff:
-Cosmetics: cracked windscreen, no headliner, small broken bit in LR taillight, crap repaint, hail dings on hood.
-No AC (condensor and hoses gone)
-I had to replace the passenger side wing window with a fixed wing, and the power regulator on that side was dead, so I replaced it with a manual one. Other windows work great.

Extra parts:
-full set of shocks from '00 XJ
-steering stabilizer from same XJ
-Good passenger side window regulator + harness

It's not the prettiest Jeep, but very well maintained and very VERY reliable. Easily the most reliable daily-driver I've ever owned. It needs NOTHING to be your next reliable daily/winter beast. The guy I bought it from is a crazy-obsessive Cherokee/Commanche guy who has the things stacked like cordwood around his place. The truck has only let me down once, and that was when one of the fuel injector o-rings leaked and flooded the motor out. $4 later and I was back in business.

Pics are about an hour old. I have a few more pics if anyone wants to see:

jeepfrontsmall.jpg

jeepside.jpg

jeeprear.jpg

Exterior is straight.

interiorfront-1.jpg

interiorrear.jpg

Pimp-juice red houndstooth plaid interior

engine-2.jpg

AMC 2.5

crack.jpg

Crack

underside.jpg

Underneath is quite good.

idle.jpg

Stable idle, good oil pressure, voltage, temp, number of the beast, etc

Last edited:
Is it just me or did you set your trip odometer to that number on purpose:D Love my four bangers. I would love to pick this jeep up but no funds as of now. Where is this jeep located?

Kim

The truck is in Caledonia, WI. Between Racine and Milwaukee.

I didn't notice the trip odo thing until I was resizing the picture :D

Re: 1986 XJ Laredo 4x4 4cyl 5-speed in SE WI. $1500frm.

Andx0r said:
underside.jpg

Underneath is quite good.

Got another bolt to put in that crossmember?

Gah, just went out with the flashlight and took a look. I seem to be short 2 bolts on my trans Xmember :|

Looks like I'll be breaking out the LH drill bits tommorrow.

Last edited:
Just a quick bump.

My transmission xmember is now sporting some lovely grade-8 bolts and lock washers :D

Back