• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Intake Manifold: Is it really worth it?

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
First off I would like to confirm that an intake manifold off a 2000 4.0 Grand Cherokee will work on a 1997 4.0 Cherokee and will be the updated manifold. Anyone?

I can get one shipped to my door for $75. I want to do a header this summer and thought that that would be a good time to try to do this.

My question is: Is it worth it? I have heard mixed reviews. Some people say it's definitely worth it, others say not so much. Enlighten me.

Thanks
Harrison

I didn't have a fun time installing mine. But I definantly noticed an improvement.

(IMO) NO! Not by itself maybe with a cam, cat back etc. Keep her revs over 3K you will see a difference. The early manifold was real poop over 3K.

The newer manifold should see gains everywhere in the rpm range.

The low end gain would come from the longer pipes.

The mid range gain would come from the larger plenum.

The top end gain should come mostly from the nice smooth curves.

is it ptrtty much just a bolt on? no huge mods? if so could you list them this sounds like it would be worth doing..and will it work on my 93 cherokee engine?
thanks
Jon

j99xj said:
The newer manifold should see gains everywhere in the rpm range.

The low end gain would come from the longer pipes.

The mid range gain would come from the larger plenum.

The top end gain should come mostly from the nice smooth curves.

It almost sounds like you describing a woman:D

redneckboarder said:
is it ptrtty much just a bolt on? no huge mods? if so could you list them this sounds like it would be worth doing..and will it work on my 93 cherokee engine?
thanks
Jon
If it has a HO head it is a direct bolt on

I did taper it out to 62mm per Go-Jeep's write up. Will I need anything other than the manifold itself? I found one for $40 that says less injector rail. I will reuse EVERYTHING on my Jeep except the actual manifold, correct?

xjh3 said:
I did taper it out to 62mm per Go-Jeep's write up. Will I need anything other than the manifold itself? I found one for $40 that says less injector rail. I will reuse EVERYTHING on my Jeep except the actual manifold, correct?
Should work, you just need to lengthen a wire or two, maybe a hose, i didnt do this mod yet.

There are a few hoses that have to be lengthened and made larger. just head to Ace or something and get the tubes and a few clamps(it's a no brainer). And just shove the AIT sensor in your intake hose(the one that runs from the filter to the TB) and you'll be good.

seanyb505 said:
If it has a HO head it is a direct bolt on

I believe that unless you have a 96+ XJ, that you also need the Power Steering Pump assembly, or need to fab a bracket. What I've heard is that the mounting changed, and wont drop straight in unless you have the newer PS pump(96+)

czb83 said:
I believe that unless you have a 96+ XJ, that you also need the Power Steering Pump assembly, or need to fab a bracket. What I've heard is that the mounting changed, and wont drop straight in unless you have the newer PS pump(96+)
Which looks like way too much work for what you get out of it IMO.

Yeah what id everyone running for a belt??? a 102 in is too big I know that I put a 2000 intake on my 1990 renix stroker and with ac now Im having trouble getting the right belt At first I got a belt from a 99 but that dident work so I got a 100 in but I had to route it diffrently

I put this onto my 4.7 I just built. I had to move some vacume lines around(not a big deal), and I hade to get a new ps pump bracket. I got the bracket off of a 96 at the junkyard. I ended up putting a groved pully on it and routing the belt differently, the other way would have been closer than i like to the wp. works great, no problems, I used the injector rail from my 91. I got it and a 2001 engine from a shop for $100. my buddy got another one for $25. Its a good improvement

Back