• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Recommendation?

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
So last summer my cat started rattlin. When I went to have it replaced the guy told me my 20 yea-old muffler had a hole in it too, so I had him replace it with a stock one. I like my Jeep quiet.

It worked fine for a year and a couple of months. The only thing I didn't like about it was when I'd floor it, the exhaust note would turn into this loud "whoosh".

A couple of weeks ago the exhaust started buzzing. Quickly got worse. Looked under the car and the muffler is split.

I'm looking for a replacement; quiet, and no whoosh.

I thought about the Walker SoundFX, but three out of four reviews on Summit were awful, and all for the same thing ... failure.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-18568/overview/year/1996/make/jeep/model/cherokee

Does anybody have a recommendation?

Flowmaster series 50? I've ran a series 40 and a 50 and liked them both. The 40 made for more interior noise though. The 50 was better to me because it made less noise overall.

My flowmaster super 44 is loud but I dont recommend anything from that brand. 1 year old and it looks like its original with the car. Junk. Dynomax makes excellent exhaust systems I recommend using that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a flowmaster delta 50 on my mj, for a few years it was just dumped under the bed. Then I had it routed out and it quieted down alot, yet still annoying. Perhaps it's because it's a regular cab that it resonates so bad but I picked up another xj and it has a walker 17917 muffler. Nice little hum while idling and a decent tone under load. If I keep the Comanche illrobly put that muffler in its place

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe the OP got a bad unit,...maybe the requirements of some are different than others?

My XJ is fitted with a Flow Master 50 since 2003 and it is still looking (almost) as good as new which includes a winter in Des Moines IA in 2007. It is one of Rusty's offroad package with 2.5" all the way back. It used to be a bit annoying at some RPM's. My solution was to remove the last 18" of the 2.5" pipe and replace it with the OEM piece. The XJ lost some low end/off idle power which was regained after the tail piece was replaced with the OEM piece.

I did not want to use some discount store fiberglass filled muffler and I did not want to spend a lot of money for something I often drag across rocks. The FM 50 foot the bill.

Currently have a magnaflow on mine and its very quiet, i cant stand noise. i also have had good luck with dynomax ultra flo ss on other vehicles. pretty much the same design.

Currently have a magnaflow on mine and its very quiet, i cant stand noise. i also have had good luck with dynomax ultra flo ss on other vehicles. pretty much the same design.
Is there a specific model of Magnaflow that you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

they offer a straight thru i wanna say i did the 4x9 x 18" body. 2.5in/2.5 out then ran the tail pipe back out past the bumper like stock. This came after years of running a small race muffler with a turn down before the axle.

I use the budget Borla mufflers, good quality stainless and inexpensive, not loud (but not exactly quiet either)

Borla should be a good product,...they usually are. I will look into it next time I need one.

Magnaflow , dynomax ultra flo.

Back