• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silicone Radiator Hoses Suggestions?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I offroad a lot in the Mojave desert which means hot engine. A couple of weeks ago one guy blew a radiator hose and it was a PITA because nobody had any backups. I'd like to upgrade the stock radiator hoses on my 98 XJ with Silicone hoses and save the stock ones as backups.

Do you guys have any suggestions for Radiator hoses?

Quadratec has a set of Mishimoto hoses that look pretty good for $120. However, the lower hose looks more square vs the rounded stock hose. It seems like that might be an issue when inserting the spring in the lower hose. Anyone have any experience with the Mishimoto hoses?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mishimoto/silicone-coolant-hose-kit-91-01-jeep-cherokee-xj

Prowling around Amazon, they have some cheap ones for only $48 from GPlus Motor! They look the same shape as the stock hoses. That is a really good deal for Silicone hoses (almost too good). Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb

There's also the HPS hoses on amazon but for $200 is getting a little pricey, is it worth it? Is there any benefit to having a silicone heater hose? I feel like if that blows you can just cinch it off until you reach civilization.

https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-HPS..._7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1496432275&sr=1-7

Do you guys have any input on any of these hoses or any other hoses you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Quadratec has a set of Mishimoto hoses that look pretty good for $120. However, the lower hose looks more square vs the rounded stock hose....
Actually I'm pretty sure the squared hose is the top hose. That's exactly what it looks like in the 4 XJs I have sitting in the yard right now. The newer top hoses tend to not have the bends and I hate them. I always look for the squared off ones. They sit just right on top of the compressor.

Edit: And that $200 kit seems to have all 4 hoses including clamps. I dunno from silicone hoses, but is that a bad price for all hoses? Especially since you think $48 too cheap for just 2. If memory serves, the heater core hoses are always more expensive than the large ones ... which is odd.

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty sure the squared hose is the top hose. That's exactly what it looks like in the 4 XJs I have sitting in the yard right now. The newer top hoses tend to not have the bends and I hate them. I always look for the squared off ones. They sit just right on top of the compressor.

Edit: And that $200 kit seems to have all 4 hoses including clamps. I dunno from silicone hoses, but is that a bad price for all hoses? Especially since you think $48 too cheap for just 2. If memory serves, the heater core hoses are always more expensive than the large ones ... which is odd.

Yeah, you might be right the squared one might be for the top. I'd assume the squared off part really doesn't make a difference, but I'd just like to see if anyone has any experience.

As for the $200 kit, I guess the question is there a big benefit to having silicone heater hoses? The way I see it if a main hose blows, you are stuck until you get a new hose, the heater hoses you can always crimp off in an emergency, still a pain but they seem less critical. Are the heater hoses more likely to burst? I'm just trying to poll the community on their experiences with the different hose options.

If it were me, I would not bother with the $200 HPS kit unless it is clear that it is coming with formed heater hoses (sure doesn't look that way from the picture, but I don't know if that picture accurately represents the product for the specific application).

Of the four heater hose sections on my '96, only one is not a formed hose, and most of the bends are either 90 degrees or pretty close to that. I rather doubt silicon forced into a bend is going to perform better than preformed rubber.

If you want to upgrade the one straight section of heater hose you could step up to the Goodyear Hi-Miler hose: http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.c...and_Parts/files/assets/downloads/page0027.pdf

If it were me, I would not bother with the $200 HPS kit unless it is clear that it is coming with formed heater hoses (sure doesn't look that way from the picture, but I don't know if that picture accurately represents the product for the specific application).

Of the four heater hose sections on my '96, only one is not a formed hose, and most of the bends are either 90 degrees or pretty close to that. I rather doubt silicon forced into a bend is going to perform better than preformed rubber.

If you want to upgrade the one straight section of heater hose you could step up to the Goodyear Hi-Miler hose: http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.c...and_Parts/files/assets/downloads/page0027.pdf

Where do you get the formed Heater hoses? I could not find those?

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Mishimoto hoses. Probably overkill/overpaying but I don't like buying cheapo stuff from Amazon. I'll report back how they work out.

Where do you get the formed Heater hoses? I could not find those?

Napa.

I would be surprised if they quit carrying them already. But I have been surprised by similar things before.

Buy elbows. Add a short piece of aluminum as needed. Then use Gates heat shrink hose clamps for a permanent install on the middle sections (believe Gates calls them Powergrip). Presto chango, you have formed radiator hoses. You can bead roll the aluminum if you're baller. A weld bead works fine, or end just beating the end over a wine bottle (with gloves!) works to add a little flare.

Here's the idea as done on my Rx7.

Expansion10.jpg

Overflow1.jpg

Still need to use the standard hose clamps at the end but you get the idea. I used the opportunity to weld in a port for a temperature gauge too.

-Joel

That looks awesome, but I wouldn't trust all the heat shrink joints to the aluminum (more joints = more opportunities for failure). I would think a standard solid rubber hose would be more reliable. At least they would be easy to fix in the field.

Back