• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RADesigns Rail Shifter- Install/review-01 xj

I remember something about the '97 being a special case according to Ken, Bill.
Learn something new every day. Interesting.
I'll have to pick his brain about the difference next time I see him.

I'll try it. The interesting thing was that at first- I could switch in and out twice, and it would go into limp mode the 3rd time. Now it has no tolerance, and the tcu won't turn back on.

I never bothered to check. Honestly, as much as I do love the mod, I don't use it that often.

Because the "D" setting doesn't allow for engine braking in 2nd gear, if you're cruising at highway speed, you'd have to get out of TC lock up, switch into 3rd, then shift(floor shifter) into 3rd, then, switch into 2nd. And even then, if you want to get 1st gear braking, you have to shift into 1-2, then switch into 1. You end up playing with both the shifter, shift rail, and tc switch a lot. My brakes suck, so I use engine braking regularly.

It's really the AW4's fault, it is both electric and mechanically shifted.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm converting from the ax15 to the AW4 using the rail shifter and the rock shifter. I'm wondering about the kickdown cable, do I need to hook it up to the throttle linkage? Could I just remove the cable? I don't know if it would freak the tranny out if it never saw input from the cable. I've never had an auto tranny before so I really have no clue.

It's not a Kick-down cable, it's a TV cable which stands for Throttle Valve. You need it to regulate the line pressure in the trans and without it your line pressure will be too low and it will slip when you try to shift at WOT.

In short, yes you need it.

I'm converting from the ax15 to the AW4 using the rail shifter and the rock shifter. I'm wondering about the kickdown cable, do I need to hook it up to the throttle linkage? Could I just remove the cable? I don't know if it would freak the tranny out if it never saw input from the cable. I've never had an auto tranny before so I really have no clue.

The transmission cable controls the transmission's internal pressure.
The more throttle you give it, the higher the pressure on the servos, bands and clutch plates.
The cable must be hooked up for the transmission to operate correctly.
If it wasn't needed, Chrysler would have saved money by not installing it.

Back