• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket stock size trackbar suggestions?

Weekender

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ Sport, 150,000 miles. Bought it a couple of months ago and it just developed the DW when hitting potholes.

Got the trackbar off after confirming a lot of play in its bushing. Getting the balljoint loose with a pickle fork may have damaged it as it's difficult to move.

So, replacing the trackbar. It's original, there's no lift on the jeep so I'm looking for a good replacement without spending a lot. Have found them from $35 to well over $150.

Suggestions?

I've read posts about the bolt / bushing sizes so I measured the bolt with calipers. The bolt wiggles in the bushing as well as the bushing's rubber is ripped. The bolt measures 9mm at the shoulder, the head is 15mm and it's a 10.5 or 10.9 grade.

I've read about 10mm or 1/2" bolts but 9mm? Wear?

So need a TB and proper bolt and flag nut.

Thanks,

Or somebody managed to stick the wrong size bolt in it at some point. You might be able to get the right dimensions for the bolt from the stealership. Junkyard would be another possibility for finding the right bolt.

When I got the death wobbles, I installed some sort of off-shore Chineseium track bar, but the company was owned by or also made parts for Moog. It was dirt, dirt cheap too, like $27 online I think, but good quality. I did install a polyurethane bushing in it. Unless you're planning on lifting the Jeep at some point, I see no reason in wasting money on an expensive adjustable track bar.

Oh yeah, pofessional pro-tip: Next time you're thinking about using a pickle fork, try smacking the thing that the stud runs through with a hammer. Your favorite libation of penetrating oil and applying pressure in the direction you want the thing to move while simultaneously smacking the thing the stud runs through can help hasten results.

Thanks for the reply. Soaked it in PBlaster and Knock 'er Loose, pounded on it with a large ball peen hammer and pried with a crowbar. Wouldn't budge. Had to wail on the pickle fork before it would pop out.

I looked at the Moog part on Rockauto, might just go with that. No plans for a lift.

Cheers,

I put this track bar in my '00.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCZ2724194?searchCategory=7.2&searchIndex=App

Few years ago and all seems fine. If I understand about the bolt you are asking about you are talking about the one that is on the passenger side that goes into the flag nut?

If so here is the bolt. Appears to be M10x1.50x73.00

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...model=&Filter=(E=ERH;T=DGS;M=Sport+4+Door+4WD)

Flag nut just in case.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-retainer-hex-flange-lock~6506264aa.html

Second on that Napa unit, I've had that one since this summer. Easy to install and no play anywhere, nice and tight still after a few thousand miles.

Just have to make sure you buy the NCP line one and the more expensive of the two. Not that you want to do this job twice but the one at the link has a lifetime warranty.

Ok, went the cheaper route and bought an ACDelco part from Amazon. $35. Went in easy and used a new 10.9 M10x1.5x75mm bolt from Lowe's.

Reused the flag nut and will check it and torque after a hundred miles if needed. 62ft/lbs on the ball joint nut, 74ft/lbs on the bolt.

Thanks,
Weekender

Back