• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garmin Marine GPS topo maps?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I'm confused.... I thought someone mentioned to me that the Marine GPS units (like 276, 278, 376, 378 and so on) had good topo maps. I looked at what's available for them and it seems that only the parks have good topo maps and the rest of US is urban/street stuff. Am I missing something obvious?

Garmin has two series of topos. One based roughly on the 1:100 000 USGS topo maps, which is the Topo program and the US Topo 24k which is based on the 1:24 000 USGS topo maps. The Topo software covers the entire US. The Topo24k software covers the National Parks and the areas immediately adjacent.

You can only load maps from Garmin software to Garmin receivers. (Caveat; some Garmin GPSr can accept "homemade" maps. They are out ther on the Internet)

karstic said:
Garmin has two series of topos. One based roughly on the 1:100 000 USGS topo maps, which is the Topo program and the US Topo 24k which is based on the 1:24 000 USGS topo maps. The Topo software covers the entire US. The Topo24k software covers the National Parks and the areas immediately adjacent.

You can only load maps from Garmin software to Garmin receivers. (Caveat; some Garmin GPSr can accept "homemade" maps. They are out ther on the Internet)
Hmmm I thought that those GPS receivers said that you can't load maps into them you can only use Garmin maps on memory cards? :confused:

Kejtar said:
Hmmm I thought that those GPS receivers said that you can't load maps into them you can only use Garmin maps on memory cards? :confused:

Semantics, yes the data is stored on a microSD card (IIRC) not in the internal memory of the receiver.

karstic said:
Semantics, yes the data is stored on a microSD card (IIRC) not in the internal memory of the receiver.
yeah.. I just talked to a buddy and got it figured out: you donwload the map onto the memory card and install it in. The website led me to believe though that you have to buy preloaded cards and their selection.. sucked...

You can buy preloaded card (maybe just the City Navigator) but I wouldn't do that. Having the DVD let's you do stuff on your desktop.

Kejtar ! - I have the originall US Topo 2008 and US city Navigator 2008 for my 276c. If You want me to I can take a US topo to Moab - and You can upload it oto Your GPS unit

Back