• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy GPS topo maps?

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
Where do you need map coverage? The Garmin Mapsource 24K Topo National Parks series maps are the best you can get for a Garmin GPS but they are limited to national parks and monuments. If you are going exploring in Chattahoochee National Forest, Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area and Great Smoky Mountains National Park then 24k Topo would be a great choice for you. If you are going anywhere else then Mapsource Topo U.S. would be a better purchase: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topous.jsp

Garmin does not sell maps by state but you may consider looking for a used copy of Mapsource Topo U.S. to save some money. Unlike the road navigation maps, their topo maps do not need an unlock code for each GPS unit you load the maps into. You could even find somebody local that has a copy that will download the maps you need to your unit in exchange for lunch or something.

I went into detail about the different Mapsource products here if you want to learn more about them:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928602

I go to the Chattohoochee NF often but I pretty much know my way around that place. I am needing this for kind of the whole western NC area. I know I will be near the Nantahala but not sure if where I will be is exactly inside of it. I don't want that to be a limiting factor so I guess I need the TopoUS version. I found what looks like last years version on eBay...it's at $45 right now. I don't think the topography of the Appalachians has really changed that much since lasat year :laugh3: so that should be okay...I would think.

REI has a kiosk (some Sportsman's Warehouse's, too) where you input the areas for which you want a map, and it'll print out on waterproof paper. I think $8 a sheet.

Steve

Handlebars said:
Bruce, for less than half the price of the 2008 version that old one will do you just fine! I have it myself, if you want to come by my house I'll put it on your GPS.

LOL...thanks for the offer man but to I'll save myself a few bucks in travel expenses from going from Georgia to New Mexico, and buy myself a copy. :roflmao:Thanks for the offer though. :wave1:

Hey Alex....since you have them...

In an area around say Moab, where there is both Canyonlands and Arches...how far outside the parks does the good topo lines go?

BruceB83 said:
LOL...thanks for the offer man but to I'll save myself a few bucks in travel expenses from going from Georgia to New Mexico, and buy myself a copy. :roflmao:Thanks for the offer though. :wave1:
That sounds like a good choice! :D
DrMoab said:
Hey Alex....since you have them...

In an area around say Moab, where there is both Canyonlands and Arches...how far outside the parks does the good topo lines go?
Quite a long ways, Ryan. Looking at my file of waypoints from Charles Wells' book the only trails that fall outside the 24k Topo coverage area are:

Rainbow Terrace
Spring Canyon Point
Spring Canyon Bottom
Hey Joe Canyon
Onion Creek
Top of the World
Rose Garden Hill
Thompson Canyon
Gyser Pass
La Sal Loop Road

Take a look at the Mapsource Map Viewer on this page to see exactly what coverage you get.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo24knp.jsp#

It is kind of slow and buggy, but you can see everything you will get with the real program.

Strike Ravine and the entire Area BFE are covered, as well as the whole 3D Jeep trail. The actual trails are not on there, unfortunately. I have GPS tracks for about 75% of the trails in the area. What do you think about making a GPS track file hosting area within the IC forum, similar to what RME has, but hosting them in .gpx format instead of .kml?

Handlebars said:
What do you think about making a GPS track file hosting area within the IC forum, similar to what RME has, but hosting them in .gpx format instead of .kml?

What about doing one in this forum?

Handlebars said:
All I have is Moab area trails, that is why I think the IC forum would be more appropriate. Each chapter could host GPS files for their region... stuff for areas without a chapter could go here, like Baja California.

I see, kinda like chasing a wild goose around? :D

Hmmm, have you got Baja files?

Well I bought the GPS off of Bruce...

Handlbars.... could I mail it to you and get the topo's downloaded? haha

ZacSquatch said:
Well I bought the GPS off of Bruce...

Handlbars.... could I mail it to you and get the topo's downloaded? haha
Damn!!! Why didn't I think of that??? Oh well. Handlebars...could I mail you my new one I am getting? :D I'll give ya $20!?!?

Haha, how many pics of a naked step sister do I need to include

BruceB83 said:
Damn!!! Why didn't I think of that??? Oh well. Handlebars...could I mail you my new one I am getting? :D I'll give ya $20!?!?

haha, I can't have ALL the good ideas..

BTW, I got a link cable/cig. adapter combo for $15 shipped on Ebay, good call

I Think the payment is supposed to clear by Wednesday (7th). Hopefully you can get it to me by friday, Headin to VA and it would be great to have.

Last edited:
ZacSquatch said:
haha, I can't have ALL the good ideas..

BTW, I got a link cable/cig. adapter combo for $15 shipped on Ebay, good call

I Think the payment is supposed to clear by Wednesday (7th). Hopefully you can get it to me by friday, Headin to VA and it would be great to have.

Then I'll trust ya and have it out tomorrow and you should have it either the next day or if they are slow, Thursday.

If anything bad happens...I know where you will be going to school come January :skull1:. Lol...

Are you sure you can't just stop by Albuquerque on the way to VA? ;)

Seriously, I had a GPS V, it only had 19mb of memory. I'll bet the GPS III has even less so it would only store a limited amount of maps. You would probably want to choose your area carefully. Also, if you already have any detailed road navigation maps from City Navigator or City Select they would be written over with the topo maps.

If you really want to, I'll pm you my address and phone # and you can send it out. Lemme know.

Back