• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tillamook State Forest Oregon questions/ TSF MEET?

blibra

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
I had some questions that I was hoping a some of you guys could help me out with. I'm going camping this weekend with a couple of my buddies. I have only been to TSF once and It was a spur of the moment 1am night run. So far I'm bringing my '87, my cousin's '88 Xj, A dodge dually p/u, and a VW Camper vanagon. Where would anyone suggest to have a camping spot that is somewhat away from a day use area. I noticed where I can legally camp at and was wondering where you can camp on the side of the logging roads? Is Rogers Camp decent? Can I have a fire? I have a PDF of the TSF OHV guide and been to the state forestry website. I know I need an OHV permit if I want to use the trails, but what about the other cars going camping? Can we get away with not having an NFR pass. Also are there any close fishing spots? I just want to get outta here and have a good time this weekend and do a little wheeling Saturday:thumbup:. Thanks! Any good suggestions ? Thanks :cheers:

Oh what would my somewhat stock 4.0 aw4 242 open d30 d44 front and skids make it through? I dont wan't to block the trails for anyone else. what would be some good trails to hit?

I ALSO NOTICED THAT IXNAYXJ IS HAVING A GET TOGETHER IN WASHINGTON FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE NEW TO THIS, I THOUGHT THAT IS A GREAT IDEA FOR EVERYONE TO MEET UP AND HAVE FUN. ANYONE UP FOR ORGANIZING SOMETHING AT TILLAMOOK STATE FOREST SOMETIME WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=914433

Thanks, Brandon

Brandon,

TSF is an awesome place to camp, wheel, and hang out. Rogers Camp is for day use only, generally for tow rigs and staging. I would recommend Browns Camp or Horse Camp. Im going to assume a fire would be okay since its not summer yet, but you may want to check. OHV permits are required only if you go on the trails. Tow rigs and camping vehicles dont need them. One can be picked up at the Shell station on SR6.

Im running 2" of lift and 30's and have been on a good portion of the trails. I would try and run some of powerline, hoodraiser, cedar tree, and even firebreak five. Thats more than a days worth right there. If your by wheelin by yourself I would stay off the black diamonds.

We had our monthly portland area meet and greet last night in gresham. Try and make our next one on the second Monday of May (details will be posted later). Also we are planning another TSF run in May as well.

TORX

Thanks Basically answered all of my questions. As far as lets call it a workshop goes. Would anyone locally be willing to setup a meet for something along the lines that IXNAYXJ is doing? I'm not stupid but it would sure be nice to learn from someone else's mistakes and I'm always up for learning something new. The time should be before the Browns Camp meet on May 12th-13th.
MOJOJOJO up for the challenge? :skull2:

There's really two ways to learn from my experience.

Most of my trail knowledge comes from years of not being able to afford my own Jeep and sitting in the passenger seat of a seasoned wheeler/competitor.

Everything else has pretty much just been going out and doing it.

I think if you're wanting to learn, just jump in on the next Browns run we're doing and run with us, run behind some of the lesser built jeeps in the group and watch what and how they do.

blibra said:
I ALSO NOTICED THAT IXNAYXJ IS HAVING A GET TOGETHER IN WASHINGTON FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE NEW TO THIS, I THOUGHT THAT IS A GREAT IDEA FOR EVERYONE TO MEET UP AND HAVE FUN.
Just so you know, you're welcome to join us up here. Last event like this, we had several people and vehicles from Oregon. Frankly the trails arean't the best, but I guarantee there will be challenges for all skill levels, and the camping is always a blast. It's probably only about 3 hours from Portland, so you should seriously consider it. This goes for everyone down south, even you Jamez.

-----Matt-----

anyone know of a accurate weather source?

:gee:

There is a storm front thats supposed to rain on my 22nd b-day party. If I do go camping any of you are all def. welcome to come up and chill. Just PM me if your not doing anything Sat. and I'll give you my number.

Ya. I might have to think about it. I would have to trailer it with my buddies Dodge. Thanks for the invite.

Back