• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid cage top bars

ROKRWLR

NAXJA Forum User
So I don't have to reinvent the wheel when I am building mine......

Can anyone tell me what angle bend you have on the roof bars of your cage where it comes into the halo bar (see pic below)??? And, if you know how much vertical distance do you have between this roof cross bar and the halo bar? I'm looking for a good starting point for laying out these bars.

Thanks!

(Sorry, I stole a pic of someone else's cage here....)
DSCF0008.jpg

I don't recall what my actual bend angle is but that alone isn't going to help you anyway.
It'll also depend on the radius, how close to the bend you put the final cut, and how far off the roof you want it. Mine are about 3/4" from the roof at the furthest point and about 1/8" off at the closest (or on the drip rail for the rub rails).

Figure out what distance you'd like it to be off the roof, lay a piece of bent tube on the roof or a protractor and that'll give you your angle.

Here's a shot of mine with the holes for the B-Pillar ties.
CageAlmostComplete2.jpg

I agree with RCman.

For me the determining factors were how far out I wanted the outer rub bars and how much space between the cage and roof. Then you just need to decide on where you want the bend to start. There's very little space between my cage and the roof, so I had to put two additional bends (very slight) in the crossbars to match the curvature of the roof. You can see a couple of these bends in this pic:

5249.jpg

I'm not a mathematician so a lot of mine is done by trial and error. It helped me to bend a 90* piece and leave it around for reference. I also kept another mistake piece with a shallow bend around to use or guestimate what angles I wanted in cases similar to this. It helps to at least start with a visual.

Here's another shot to see how close it is to my roof. It looks like its touching in a few places but its not.

5335.jpg

Thanks guys. Luckily it got warmer out and the snow is starting to melt so I could get some decent measurements. It sucks working out side and depending on the weather to cooperate!

Back