• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticky situation

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
So I had my first "close call" wheeling alone almost lose it type experience today.

So my son, dad and I went out to do a little shooting. The wind picked up to the point we couldn't shoot so we decided to do a little exploring instead. I have been in this area a hundred times or more before and feel totally comfortable being out there by myself but what happened this time took me completely out of my comfort level.

We headed up this canyon and had to cross the wash in the bottom. As I hit the bottom the ground gave way and what looked to be about 8 inches across ended up being much bigger. If not for my bumper we would have rolled I am quite sure.

20090913_4154.jpg

20090913_4155.jpg

20090913_4156.jpg

20090913_4157.jpg

We were 60 miles from town. Had no cell coverage and no one knew where we were. It could have got ugly.

Put the lockers in and it backed out no problem though. :D

Oh and if I hear one little comment about yellow jeeps and sunflowers I will hunt you down and paint your dog pink.

First off, glad everything came out okay. Second thing, that color is sweet!!!! I likey.

As for going out alone, adventure traveling is very commonly done solo. What it comes down to is being prepared. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Not sure if a Hi-Lift was on board but it, some jacking, possibly putting the spare tire in the rut or finding rocks/wood, this would have been something easily solved. In this case, having lockers worked fine.

I do like to go out with at least one other rig but like IntrepidXJ said, in some cases, you'll never get out.

OKay, what you said..

Bad boy, never go alone..
I had to be the frist to say it
Well here is the thing. First. I carry enough food, water and cold weather gear to last the three of us several days. Second, my family knew the general area we were in. Third. If they did have to come look for us I would be pretty easy to spot from the air :D. Also one of us could have hiked to an area with cell coverage in a matter of hours.

I only brought this up as a reminder for those who don't go as prepared to always be prepared if you are out alone.

I know, alot of time the wife and i go out alone..We carry food an stuff too, lived in the desert way to long not too..Glad it turned out ok..

But I don't have a dog. :D

Well here is the thing. First. I carry enough food, water and cold weather gear to last the three of us several days. Second, my family knew the general area we were in. Third. If they did have to come look for us I would be pretty easy to spot from the air :D

I don't know Ryan... all I see is sunflowers.
20090913_4154.jpg

Luckily they didn't find your bleached bones next to a pile of sunflower seed shells. :D I am glad you guys made it through without harm. One of the things that makes solo travel so rewarding is moments like that when you realize that you can be part of the food chain... and not at the top. That is a cool photo and a great story to go with it!

BTW, I don't have a dog but if I did it would be worth seeing you again, if just to change Fido's color. :)

Glad to hear everything turned out ok and you were pretty well prepared for most scenarios.

In hindsight what would you do different? If the rig had rolled and someone did get injured, what other gear/precautions can you put in place to ensure everyones safety? I assume you have a 1st aid kit onboard already.

Spot?

I don't see any sunflowers... All I see is a bunch of daisies and an XJ painted to match...

Glad everything turned out OK... But then, from what little I know of you, you always seem to be prepared....

Last edited:
Back