• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keweenaw Camping Trip

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
So with my rig in its current state, and what I like to do with my free time. This is what I like to put together and do. This trip was planned for two nights on Keystone Bay, the best sand beach on the south side of the peninsula, but do to impending weather on the big lake we scouted a second location on Hoar Lake for the second night.

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Montreal River
DSC01051.jpg

Keystone Bay
IMG_0268.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0263-1.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0284-1.jpg

What trail? The reason I have no desire to wheel a fullsize or something huge at this point.
IMG_0292.jpg

Fish Cove Rd (above) and where It lead to below

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

Came across some locals on a drinking trip. There weren't out of hand but having a beer at each stop on their way to Copper Harbor. Fish Cove Pt.
IMG_0294.jpg

Excuse the messy Campers, this was Saturday Morning
IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

We hiked up to Lost Lake, supposed to have good trout
DSC01069.jpg

Hoar Lake
IMG_0282-1.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Copper Harbor
IMG_0367.jpg

And a few more for good measure.

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

I also hate pushbutton 4wd as I have experienced it first hand. My friends trail blazer somehow got bound up and the shift motor couldn't pull it out of 4wd. After removing the shift motor by some fluke we got it to be in 2wd. Then after driving the transfercase popped into neutral. We were close to being on pavement so I just towed him into Copper Harbor. And after dicking around for a couple of hours we got the shift motor back on and although it indicated in "auto" it behaved as it were in 2wd so we were able to leave town.

Last edited:
Thats why i'm not a fan of pushbutton 4wd!

It was a blast, could have easily had some more "wheeling" too if time would have allowed.

Sweet pics - we'll be up in those areas mid August, but with the atvs. Don't think my truck would fit down some of them trails, or I should say fit unscathed...

Mine really didn't fit, but the worst trail was Fish Cove Rd pictured above. That's right I said road. The Mandan Loop and the other trails we hit were pretty tame so its a non issue for just about any size vehicle. No dents but but my paint job hates me. My friends Blazer is wider and lower and it was a pain in the butt to get it to follow me in some areas. By which area are you referring to: the trails out in that neck of the woods?

Last edited:
We are probably going to do the loop starting from Calumet and head up to the tip, camp for the night and loop back down. Not sure of which exact route yet. My paint scratches so freakin easy on my truck I hate taking it offroad, though its full equipped to do so when needed. Lived close to that area most of my life and only ventured a few times up to the tip. Its nice having the mother-in-laws house in Calumet so we can venture in a few directions.

Yeah that would be nice. Which way have you taken? southeast past Schlatter's Lake or across the beaver dam on Union Creek? Those are the two major ways I know of to get to the tip of the tip. Other ways are kinda hit and miss, highly depending on the season.

I'm jealous Brian. I need to leave the woman "who will not use an outhouse or other public bathroom" at home and get up that way. Looks like you had a blast. Have your friend look up a S-10 shift linkage mod to replace the shift motor. It can be done and save a ton of headache although I hear doing it is a pain also.

You should plan on something sparkling, but I will say the bags are better than most of the outhouses out there. At least the bucket is clean to start.

Susie (Rev's wife)

:D Never ever.

Rob, you do need to figure it out so you can come out and stay in the woods!

Doesn't living in the woods count? I had 3 cubs and a big sow bear up on the deck this am. Beginning to think they need to start giving out more bear permits for this area. I've seen more bear then deer.

I will definately hit her up for the bag idea or just leave her some cash and go alone.:gag:

Back