• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Family centered overland build

overxjland

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a new member and new to this forum. Currently have a 99 cherokee classic, 2wd. Soon to be converted over to 4wd. This is my second cherokee, first was 10+ years ago. First one was built for straight trails and rock crawling. Now that I'm married with children and a dog, I'm looking to build up something that can house the family and our 90# hyper- active lab mix. So in essence, I'm looking for storage ideas. I don't want to go much over a 3" lift, I happen to be a fan of the low center of gravity, with the biggest tires possible. Just wanted to see what other members have done. I want ideas for packing up all our camp gear, keep in mind, I have 3 girls in the rig, and a dog in the back. So everything will be stored outside the rig. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to see what you guys have in store!

I think most people that "overland" in an XJ where storage is a minimum INSIDE the rig uses an expedition trailer. You start piling on a roof rack, you'll lose that low COG in a hot minute. I think I'd start reading trailer build threads if I were in your shoes.

Oh, one more thing...THANK YOU for being brand new and deciding to become a paid member.

I'm a new member and new to this forum. Currently have a 99 cherokee classic, 2wd. Soon to be converted over to 4wd. This is my second cherokee, first was 10+ years ago. First one was built for straight trails and rock crawling. Now that I'm married with children and a dog, I'm looking to build up something that can house the family and our 90# hyper- active lab mix. So in essence, I'm looking for storage ideas. I don't want to go much over a 3" lift, I happen to be a fan of the low center of gravity, with the biggest tires possible. Just wanted to see what other members have done. I want ideas for packing up all our camp gear, keep in mind, I have 3 girls in the rig, and a dog in the back. So everything will be stored outside the rig. Thanks in advance, and can't wait to see what you guys have in store!

Whew! You sound a lot like me. I have a wife and 3 daughters. (No dog.)

My solution to your issue was to buy a 25ft RV that's capable of towing my Jeep. lol

But before the RV I was asking the same question you're asking. I had a small utility trailer that i bought from lowes. Flipped the axle on it so it'd sit level behind my Jeep. That's where all the camping gear goes. it's like 4' x 5' and has 18" tall sides. If you remove the fenders and add some wheel spacers you can run a 31" tire on it to follow your Jeep down any trail.

As Cottontail mentioned the Cherokee just gets too small too quick for overland with a family. I'm one of the trailer brigade guys, myself.

LR-20150810-001-la.jpg

I use that trailer on bigger trips and for all my Adopt-A-Trail work and it gets the job done fantastically.

Alright, first of all thanks. Secondly, I have realized I will have to do a small trailer build. What kind of weight are some of your trailers? How well does it tow behind an XJ? My last rig was a suburban so storage was absolutely no issue, and towing just about anything was a breeze. I have been looking at the trailer builds on here, as well as other forums. And thanks again, looks like pretty soon I'll have to start a couple of build threads!

Back