• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a Remote interval timer

Before you get too carried away with time lapse you might want to consider one thing. A DSLR cameras shutter is only rated for some many releases. I know a lot of the professional guys I follow pack around something like the Panosinic Lumix LX-3 camera just for time lapse photos so they aren't wearing out the shutter on their high dollar stuff.

Before you get too carried away with time lapse you might want to consider one thing. A DSLR cameras shutter is only rated for some many releases. I know a lot of the professional guys I follow pack around something like the Panosinic Lumix LX-3 camera just for time lapse photos so they aren't wearing out the shutter on their high dollar stuff.

No sure I'm following you on the shutter life expectancy thing.......never heard of this before. Apply this theory to timed bulb function for astro-shots.

No sure I'm following you on the shutter life expectancy thing.......never heard of this before. Apply this theory to timed bulb function for astro-shots.

Timed bulb and time lapse are two seperate animals.

Shouldn't be a problem with an open shutter.

Check the detailed specs on your camera. Not sure how Canon rates theirs but I know with Nikon the lower end and prosumer cameras like mine have a shutter life expectancy of around 50,000 clicks. The higher end D700s and D3s are in the 150K-250K range.

:edit: just found this http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon450d/discuss/72157606695991684/ sounds like yours is in around the same life expectancy as mine. Around 50,000 clicks.

Thanks for the info, Ryan. Someone on Flicker posted-Canon XSi / 450D- 100,000 shutter clicks
I also found this, which is not quite as optimistic....... http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos450d.htm

Yeah, I looked around a little and couldn't find a definate answer. It looks like Canon isn't releasing the info on that paticular camera.

50,000 sounds like a lot but I'm sitting well over 10,000 shots since I bought mine last year. They add up fast.

That remote looks like a good deal- I paid almost that much for the Nikon wired remote that just has a single stinking button on it. :smsoap: Dang proprietary interfaces!

You might also consider picking up a 110v adapter or battery grip for those all-night exposures. While I have been impressed with DSLR battery life in normal use (I can get a week long trip out of one battery), I have been let down during long bulb exposures and all night time lapse sessions.

Thanks for the info, Ryan. Someone on Flicker posted-Canon XSi / 450D- 100,000 shutter clicks
I also found this, which is not quite as optimistic....... http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos450d.htm
uh... that's not nearly enough people responding to make any kinds of references about ALL cameras of that model.

In addition, those numbers will be further skewed by the fact that people with problems will likley seek out information about their problems.

Jeff, if you look around for a mid-range point and shoot that can be remotely controlled you can do a time lapse with a computer and a few programs out there (PSRemote comes to mind, also Canon's utility on the Macintosh). I recently picked up a PowerShot SX100 IS, pretty nice camera for a point and shoot, I only got it because it has remote control capabilities (I also have a PowerShot 560 and 570IS, both do not have remote control).

That is how I did the drive to / from Moab time lapse a few years back (although that ws with an old PowerShot A70).

Edit: Oh yeah - The Canon utility on the Macintosh will control a Rebel Xsi to make time lapses as well, not sure about the PC version of it as I've never tried.

Shutter life expectancy is a really really petty thing to even consider. In 5 years of shooting semi-pro with my D70, I barely have 12k on mine (I just had to look). The junk spewed on the forums about 'issues' is typically the same people over and over again in various places...and/or the ones chiming in with 'I heard' are usually referencing those same people. One person with an isolated incident can quickly be multiplied to ten online. ;)

Agreed......:bs:

I bought the camera to capture high-quality images.....so if my camera body dies because I shoot too many photos with it then I'll just buy another one.

Back