• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacobs City Ghost Mine

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Sunday Clint and I decided to check out an old mine and town called Jacobs City. Just a few miles out of Tooele and less than 80 miles from my house it was a great day to do a little exploring and checking out the changing fall colors.

Since Cody(0313) no longer has his XJ and he lives in Tooele we thought we would grab him on the way.

Arriving at what was left of the Jacobs townsite and mine. Pretty much all that is left is the foundations and a few debris.
DSC_4030.jpg

You can read more about Jacob City here...
http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/jacobcity.html

Looking at the old shaft which has been filled in
DSC_4032.jpg

Some of the remaining debris including what is left of some old cart track
DSC_4033.jpg

An old boiler underneith the foundations.
DSC_4035.jpg

After that we decided to "see where THAT road goes" It looked like it might go over the mountain but we didn't have maps of the area so we just went exploring.

Mrs Moab driving through the changing aspens.
DSC_4042.jpg

The road kept getting steeper and the switchbacks kept getting tighter. We also kept climbing and climbing. It wasn't long before we hit the 10,000 mark just under Sharp Mtn.
DSC_4047.jpg

The switchbacks we just came up.
DSC_4049.jpg

We got to the top and I figured we would be looking off into Camp Williams but no. This is looking East. A whole other mountain!
DSC_4050.jpg

Stopped admiring the view south over Five Mile Pass area and Rush Valley. If you look close you can see the grids the military laid out for chemical weapons storage and the incinerator they built to destroy it all.
DSC_4055.jpg

Dropping down off the other side we figured we were heading into Ophir Canyon. We were correct. It was very steep and the switchbacks were tight requiring several three or more point turns.
DSC_4058.jpg

At the bottom we came across this old dozer. Well I had to go see what kind of photographic oprotunities I could find.
DSC_4060.jpg

This is what I came up with. Nothing too special.
DSC_4061.jpg

DSC_4062.jpg

DSC_4065.jpg

DSC_4066.jpg

DSC_4072.jpg

DSC_4075.jpg

Another couple of shots I kind of liked.
DSC_4077.jpg

Wished that pesky door would have been in the way here.
DSC_4080.jpg

Some of the Maple trees in the canyon
DSC_4063.jpg

We blasted through the town of Ophir but I wish we would have stopped. There is some cool old relics in that town. Cody snapped this as we passed through.
DSC_4082.jpg

Now that you two have the same icon I always mistake you for the same person! I read the last post and thought "Why the hell is he telling himself his shots are looking good?" :)
Nice shots though and I want to live in Colorado!!

Back