• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Favorite gear?

I do some backpacking here and there and I try to do the minimalist thing without going too overboard.

Things I take:

-MSR Pocket Rocket camp stove and one SS tall 1.5-2L pot.

-parachute hammock ( just easier than a tent for me and VERY comfortable)

-Kelty lightyear 15 degree bag

-Mountain house meals and powerbars for light food travel

-about a hundred feet of para cord and a tent material tarp to string up for hammock sleeping

-ARMY foam sleep roll to keep the cold of my back

-SS "hotdog cooker" for cooking dogs on short trips or squirrels/rabbit if I am really roughing it.

If I have those few things and the basics like knives and lights/headlight then I am good to go.

If I can find cleanish water I can boil/sanitize it, cook the MH meals, and stay hydrated. A change of clothes and some dry socks and I can go for days on foot out in the middle of nowhere ( at least in the middle of nowhere in the South).

I'm not saying I won't camp out of a popup trailer or tent, because I definitely will, but I think I'm pretty ready for when the shit hits the fan and everything goes to hell this way.

SW-CKSUR4.jpg

I do some backpacking here and there and I try to do the minimalist thing without going too overboard.

Things I take:

-MSR Pocket Rocket camp stove and one SS tall 1.5-2L pot.

-parachute hammock ( just easier than a tent for me and VERY comfortable)

-Kelty lightyear 15 degree bag

-Mountain house meals and powerbars for light food travel

-about a hundred feet of para cord and a tent material tarp to string up for hammock sleeping

-ARMY foam sleep roll to keep the cold of my back

-SS "hotdog cooker" for cooking dogs on short trips or squirrels/rabbit if I am really roughing it.

If I have those few things and the basics like knives and lights/headlight then I am good to go.

If I can find cleanish water I can boil/sanitize it, cook the MH meals, and stay hydrated. A change of clothes and some dry socks and I can go for days on foot out in the middle of nowhere ( at least in the middle of nowhere in the South).

I'm not saying I won't camp out of a popup trailer or tent, because I definitely will, but I think I'm pretty ready for when the shit hits the fan and everything goes to hell this way.

I have been seriously considering a hammock setup... my one concern is warmth. Does it not get cold with that draft underneath you?

I could see doing a hammock in the summer and tent other times, but why bother with the hammock and just carry a tarp in the summer?

Its alot more comfortable since I am a big guy to sleep in a hammock. It's also alooooot easier to carry around than even a one man tent. The army foam roll is for the draft underneath and it works wonders; I got it at a surplus store for 12 dollhairs. The tarp is very small once packed down as well since it is thin tent nylon that you can get at Wal-Mart and get a seamstress (mom) to make the appropriate length and width by sewing multiple pieces together. Kinda like a rain fly for a tent really.....only just a big rectangle.

I find it easy and comfy and alot lighter in a bag than a tent....beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground.

Also....

This is the link to my hammock and it "holds 250" but I weigh 285 so its all good. Light and small. I would carry the roll to sleep on anyhow, so I figure this works pretty well. Also I use a wood walking stick. I am gonna see about getting another one or something similar so that I can keep it all spread apart like a normal hammock so laying sideways isn't an issue.

http://www.rei.com/product/749499

Any other hammock users here? I dont know how comfortable i'd find it with a bad lower back.

That REI one looks good, and cheap. But i wont give them my business... i'll look elsewhere.

Any other hammock users here? I dont know how comfortable i'd find it with a bad lower back.

That REI one looks good, and cheap. But i wont give them my business... i'll look elsewhere.

I use a Hennessy Hammock, ultra light and very comfortable. I weigh 208 and have the Explorer Ultra Light model it weighs like 2lbs even with the tree saver in the bag. I am still a young buck so this might not apply but I have never had any back aches in the morning after sleeping in this. I string my hammock super taught though so there is no "U" shape.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

+1 on the HH I have back troubles and sleep fine in mine.

X3, bought one in WY on our way up to AK to sleep in when we stopped, I love it..

I have 5 head lights, 3 if the $10 wal-mart energizer specials... great to have handy laying around...
Also have two Petzls
One standard strapped LED unit and this one I keep in my pocket whenever I leave the house..
http://www.viewit.com/Merchant2/mer...ER_I486&Category_Code=Lights&Store_Code=TVAOS

Also love my Mountain Gear backpack with Camel back

when i go out i grab my old alice pack and in i keep my maglight, headlamp, batteries and a gerber multitool.

the foam isomat thing rolled up with it and the sleep system i was issued.

simple. but the number one thing would be the tool. saved my ass in a few diff countries to date.

Thought i'd bring this thread back..

Update on my Aerobed: I havent used it since aquiring the RTT and i'm going camping in a few days. Unpacked it, aired it up and found it has a leak at the seam on bottom at one of the baffles. Doing some googling looking for successful repairs i see it's not uncommon for these to leak there. My mattress is probably 4 years old and has a dozen or so nights on it.

Gonna try to get it repaired and usable for now. Some good sticky duct tape might work if i start with a small piece and do a few larger sections overtop. Dont want to drop another 100+ on another.

Just wanted to note I ended up buying an ENO hammock system for myself shortly after the original inception of this thread. I couldn't be happier backpacking in a hammock. I have hiked almost half the AT with it, along with countless other incursions. Only night I was uncomfortable it got down to 26F. I'll hang anywhere, even between two Jeeps at the Crawl 2011!

268256_899218462128_29716073_42194924_8163991_n.jpg

Thought i'd bring this thread back..

Update on my Aerobed: I havent used it since aquiring the RTT and i'm going camping in a few days. Unpacked it, aired it up and found it has a leak at the seam on bottom at one of the baffles. Doing some googling looking for successful repairs i see it's not uncommon for these to leak there. My mattress is probably 4 years old and has a dozen or so nights on it.

Gonna try to get it repaired and usable for now. Some good sticky duct tape might work if i start with a small piece and do a few larger sections overtop. Dont want to drop another 100+ on another.

I found that a fabric patch impregnated with Automotive Goop clamped over the hole overnight with some bits of wood and wax paper did a great job of patching a hole in my air mattress when a "normal" patch kit failed miserably.

I bought the $25 Ozark Trail air mattress + 12VDC/rechargable air pump combo at walmart, had it for years. Aerobeds are way overpriced.

My favorite pieces of gear not already mentioned are my candle lanterns.

http://candlelantern.com/

It's plenty of light to keep from tripping over stuff at the campsite, but not enough to blind you like a propane lantern. There's no mantel to frig around with. It's silent. The candles are cheap and burn for 8 hours and you can get them with citronella. I liked it so much I even bought a second one. They sell it all at Walmart. If I need more light for something I turn on my, you guessed it, headlamp :)

homepagemain.jpg

Oh and for desert camping I bought a cheap sheet at walmart (with palm tree print) and two tent poles so I can rig up an awning out from the side of my XJ.

Back