• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan problems

Hoss in IL

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this has been covered but I may not be searching the correct criteria.

I think my electric fan (aux. fan) is not working. I've popped the hood and watched it at idle for a while with the AC running in the summer and again this winter-w/o the AC running. I have never seen the fan kick on while watching it but if I'm sitting somewhere waiting for my wife to come out of the store or something, I can hear what I think is the fan trying to start up but then it just quits.

What is the best way to check this out? Should I be looking for a particular fuse that could be blown, or wires that have been compromised? If it's a fuse I shouldn't hear anything right?

Thanks for any help you've got,
Hoss

Check the relay in the engine compartment, that's what the problem was on my '84.

You can test the fan itself by unplugging and jumping to the battery (or one wire to ground and the other to the positive battery terminal) to see if it turns on. But as mentioned, the relay is a good suspect.

What year is it? In mid 90's era the power distribution block is a rectangular black box next to the coolant overflow tank. The lid says "fuses and relays." The fan relay is the furthest to the rear on the passenger side. Don't know about other years.

Guys, sorry for not seeing the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page. Thanks for the advice. When I get home today I'm going to check the relay-if I can find it- and try jumping the fan to the batt. Thanks again.
Take care, Hoss

Back