• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Harness Upgrade- Need to find stock headlight relay

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
The upgrade harness has been hanging around for almost 2 years and I'm finally getting it installed.........almost. It has new relays, power leads and grounds for higher voltage supply to the headlights and is triggered off the stock relay....... if I can find it, that is.
My Jeep is an 89 XJ Laredo, FWIW.
I'd really like to get this done tonight because I'm sleepy............and my wife wants to cuddle;)
TIA
Jeff

Maybe

Hey Jeff,

I'm one of those old geezers that needs a battery and ground symbols to read an electric schematic, but...
from what I see on the schematics in Chiltons there either isn't a relay or the relay is in the headlight delay module which is next to the switch. I checked an 87 factory manual, and a Haynes. No mention of a headlight relay.

Fred

No relay. The headlights are controlled directly by the headlight switch in the dashboard. It does have a built-in circuit breaker, but it isn't a relay and it doesn't feed through a relay.

Yaaaahhnnn.............about time someone responded back.......I've been here all @%&! night!!:mad:

Actually, after getting no immediate responses due to the late hour of my post, I went to bed. Before drifting off, I had a memory flash (having lost the instructions long ago)...........power to the new harness is triggered by the stock headlight harness, which I had previously thought needed the hook into the stock (non-existant) relay. I got up early, plugged stuff in.......... :eek: looky there..........the headlights work and are much brighter too.
Thanks.

When I installed my headlight wiring harness upgrade, I left the stock wiring harness in place, used one of the now unused stock head light plugs as my connection/trigger point for the new harness relays. Just wire it up from there...

Ivan

Roger that Ivan, just what I did........sucks to work on your rig with a cold and not enough sleep......I'm blaming it on the cold meds!!

Back