• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight harness kills hi-beams

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
I upgraded my entire harness according to the write up on gojeep. I used 10awg wires with 40amp relays and H4 plugs. Before I had the eautoworks harness and it kept killing relays and eventually the hi-beams stopped working. This is why I did my own harness. Now when I turn the hi-beams on the relay clicks and then the "right side hi-beam fuse" pops in the passenger side kick plate on my 98. Does anyone have any ideas of where to look that is causing this? I've traced all the wires in my harness and there are no shorts or ground issues. Thanks for any help

Sounds like you have a short in the wiring some where. I would trace out the high beam wiring to find where it could be shorting to ground.

Re: Re: Headlight harness kills hi-beams

Sounds like you have a short in the wiring some where. I would trace out the high beam wiring to find where it could be shorting to ground.

That's the thing I did already. I ran each wire for the harness separate and then used wire loom to cover them. Each wire is one single piece with no cuts or breaks. I almost wonder if something happened to the stock wiring when I had the eautoworks harness on

Do a search. That modification is an issue and even bridging on the relay does not resolve the high beam sticking or not working issue.

The grounds on the harness need to be perfect. These were the two connectors that were bolted behind the head lamps.

Turns out the relay needed to be properly grounded as well. Don't ask me why, but I had to make sure the bolt connecting the relays to the fender, provided a good ground.

If you have factory fogs - disconnect and put them on a separate and dedicated circuit. That's the only thing that worked for me in terms of not having that interfere with my main lights...

If its popping the inside fuse then you've definitely got a problem on the factory wiring side after the headlamp switch and high/low switch. There is a large connector under the air cleaner thats for the front end. If you disconnect it there you would be able to isolate if the problem is between there and the fuse or beyond that point.

Re: Re: Headlight harness kills hi-beams

If its popping the inside fuse then you've definitely got a problem on the factory wiring side after the headlamp switch and high/low switch. There is a large connector under the air cleaner thats for the front end. If you disconnect it there you would be able to isolate if the problem is between there and the fuse or beyond that point.

Awesome. I'll check that when I get home and see

Back