• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't shift out of Park

Feigned

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure what else needs to be said about the vehicle but it's a 94 Cherokee, 4.0L, AT. All stock, etc.

Issue is it will not shift out of Park nicely all of the time.

This morning I depressed the brake pedal fully, keyed up, started, and went on my way. This afternoon I did the same process but it would not come out of Park. I had to shut the engine off, turn the key to the first position, then I could shift into Neutral to start, and that allowed me to change gears to Reverse and be on my way. Sometimes turning the key to the first spot works, sometimes it doesn't. And every time it will start and enable me to change to Drive but and sometimes allow me into reverse but, not all the time. Its behavior is intermittent and very, very irritating! :mad:

Rebuilt/reconditioned the Neutral Safety Switch last night. There is a brake switch underneath the brake pedal that needs attention from what I understand. What in the world do I look for? I tried searching for "brake switch" and a few other iterations without success.

You need to adjust the NSS so that it will start in P or N all the time. I was really surprised when I re-did my NSS...bolted it in...started in Park but it would not shift.
Got back under there and loosened the hold down bolt for the NSS and turned it about 1/2" and bolted it back down. Problem solved

Check the shifter detent cable.

It starts everytime, and the reverse lights work again, its my old jeep and i was there during this. It seriously worked fine until we traded vehicles. I'm gonna go with the detent cable. We'll try and adjust that and see what happens.

You need to adjust the NSS so that it will start in P or N all the time. I was really surprised when I re-did my NSS...bolted it in...started in Park but it would not shift.
Got back under there and loosened the hold down bolt for the NSS and turned it about 1/2" and bolted it back down. Problem solved

when we re-installed the NSS, we made sure it would start in park and neutral, as well as the reverse lights work, but if i'm not mistaken, the main issue is the release for the shifter to come out of park?

What your describing sounds like the shift interlock mechanism is messed up. The intent is so that you must apply the brake with the vehicle running to take it out of park. Its there to keep kids and such from knocking the shifter into gear if the driver is out of the vehicle with it running.

The newer Xj's are electric but I'm not sure about the older ones.

The solenoid that blocks the shifter from moving is controlled by the brake light switch I think. I'd check the adjustment of that and also the connection on the shifter assembly.

the detent cable assists in controlling the shift points under load, and shouldn't have anything to do with being able to move the shifter out of the Park position.

No, the detent cable goes to the steering column and only unlocks the shifter when the vehicle has a key turned, and you put your foot on the brake (it is why you can't get in and press the button on the shifter any time you please). I would recommend starting here like RCP said.

I definitely don't think it is an issue with the NSS, as the NSS should have no bearing on the mechanical shifting of the transmission between selections.

Edit: wheeling365 posted about the cable while I was typing.

No, the detent cable goes to the steering column and only unlocks the shifter when the vehicle has a key turned, and you put your foot on the brake (it is why you can't get in and press the button on the shifter any time you please). I would recommend starting here like RCP said.

I see this as being the issue as well, but the only cable I've ever heard of referred to the "detent" is the cable running from the throttle body to the transmission to control shifts under load. Now that we are on the same page, is there an adjustment to this cable or delete "mod" for this? I know OP would rather repair than replace, as Flexd and I were the ones who assisted in the remove, clean, grease, and replace to the NSS this weekend.

Well, I don't think it needs adjusting. Fiddled with it this afternoon and now it's shifting fine, I just have to finesse the button on some starts.

Just for future reference, how do I disable this? Disconnect it at the shifter and forget about it? Or file down the tab that "catches" in the bracket? The linkage just seems to be worn out.

Back