• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Won't Shift into Park

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a junk yard 93 AW4 into my 87 MJ. It shifts smooth and everything seems good.

Problem is, the tranny won't shift into park. At first I thought the shift cable needed to be adjusted. I took the cable off and tried to shift the lever on the side of the tranny with my hand. Its clicks nicely between all the gears, but won't go down into park. Not at all.

I don't really want to pull this tranny out and get a different one.

Any thoughts on why the darn thing won't go into Park?

Does it feel like the shifter doesn't go far enough forward for park? Or does it go into the park position but just not "park"?

Forget the shifter, its disconnected. The lever on the side of the tranny won't go any futher down than Reverse. Something inside the tranny is keeping it from shifting into park.

Maybe the parking pawl (or whatever the AW4 has in its place) is all chewed up?

Forget the shifter, its disconnected. The lever on the side of the tranny won't go any futher down than Reverse. Something inside the tranny is keeping it from shifting into park.

I was gonna tell you to disconnect the shift linkage and try to shift it at the tranny.

I think if you can physically feel it stopping at reverse you might have to open it up and see if the shifting fork is working properly.

I don't think the NSS would physically stop it from going into park. The last position.

While unlikely as it may seem it is possible since it's connected to the shift shaft. Not saying it is but can't hurt to check. Otherwise it's a problem in the trans.

Last edited:
While unlikely as it may seem it is possible since it's connected to the shift shaft. Not saying it is but can't hurt to check. Otherwise it's a problem in the trans.

Agreed. Quick check would be to remove the bolt that positions the NSS (not the center retaining nut) and see if that fixes it.

Coastie said:
Did you open the tranny and inspect if before you put it in?

Worst case, I believe you can get to the parking pawl by dropping the pan and the valve body.

This is great info. Thanks guys.

I cleaned, inspected, and re-installed the NSS before installing the tranny. I don't think that is the problem.

This "parking pawl" that you are talking about sounds like a great place to start. I'll start reading up on that.

And sadly, no, I didn't know to check for the pawl before installing it. I did take off the pan and change the filter though. Stupid me, I didn't even think to check that it went into part before putting it in.

A friend suggested that the Jeep may have been dragged around in park while in the junk yard .... maybe that screwed it up.

Back