• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line...what to do about leak?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty sure one of my hard lines is leaking at my rear axle...but it's hard to say, I've pulled it off 3 times now and re-tightened/aligned it but I still get a leak when I apply pressure. I looked at the bubble and it appears to be fine, what can I do?

~Scott

I'm pretty sure one of my hard lines is leaking at my rear axle...but it's hard to say, I've pulled it off 3 times now and re-tightened/aligned it but I still get a leak when I apply pressure. I looked at the bubble and it appears to be fine, what can I do?

~Scott

Safest thing to do is to replace it outright. Either get one from a dealer (if they're still in production) or remove it and take it to a fluid power/hydraulic shop, tell them what it's for, and wait about a half-hour (usually) for them to bend up and flare a new one for you.

It's an 8.8 so the lines are custom...I bought pre-made ones from NAPA and bent it but the stupid thing leaks now.

I'm thinking of just reflaring it...bad idea or no?

~Scott

It's an 8.8 so the lines are custom...I bought pre-made ones from NAPA and bent it but the stupid thing leaks now.

I'm thinking of just reflaring it...bad idea or no?

~Scott
Best just to get a new set of lines. The crack may be a hairline crack and could quickly expand and create a bigger problem.

I'd say get a new line as well. If the flare's cracked, you'll need to cut several inches off to ensure you have removed all of the stress line. Then the line will be too short.

Back