• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with oil filter adapter

Lance88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I went to my local 4x4 shop, http://www.payless4wheeldrive.com/, and i was told that i have an oil leak from my oil filter adapter. I am not a veteran when it comes to handy work on a car. Any help would be great.
i know that i have to replace the 3 o-rings but not sure where to begin.

88 cherokee, 4.0 I6

place oil catch can under oil filter, remove oil filter, place box end wrench on bolt holding adapter on, remove adapter, replace o-rings, reinstall adapter, reinstall oil filter, top off oil, check for leaks.

since ours is an 88, you will most likely have the hex head style bolt holding the adapter in, (5/8ths i think) so that is a great thing. much easier then the T60 torx.
all the other steps in those tech articles are the same.

I think im gonna make the switch from metric to standard, if the connector bolt is that cheap.How much oil do you really put in with the larger filter?

place oil catch can under oil filter, remove oil filter, place box end wrench on bolt holding adapter on, remove adapter, replace o-rings, reinstall adapter, reinstall oil filter, top off oil, check for leaks.

I had to use the handle off my floor jack as a long cheater bar on the wrench. Having never been removed that thing was sure stuck on there.

I had to use the handle off my floor jack as a long cheater bar on the wrench. Having never been removed that thing was sure stuck on there.

LOL, it ain't tight till takes a 3 ft long 1.5" ID steel pipe for a cheater and a 1/2" breaker bar, after a day of pen lube soaking!!!:laugh:

I think im gonna make the switch from metric to standard, if the connector bolt is that cheap.How much oil do you really put in with the larger filter?

Mine almost takes 6 quarts to be full (about 5.7), with the 1 quart filter, but others claim it takes more.

My T-60 Torx bit (3/8" drive) shattered in pieces (like glass) while trying to twist off the
bolt that holds the adaptor on to the block. I'm going to try again at my next oil change
using a T-60 (1/2" drive). My nightmare is that I'll break the bolt in the block while trying
to twist it off.

I'm wondering if it is better to do this with the engine warm?

Dragonslayer - try the t-60 from one of those L shaped sets (preferebly a good one, not dollar store chinese discount) and a pipe for leverage. I used a 3-foot length from underneath. Way easier. I don't think you will break that bolt, you probably just need a little more torque to break it loose. After it pops it threads out very easily.

A lot of those Torx bits are cast junk. Get the drop forged, chrome vanadium ones, and use the big cheater pipe. Some pen lube hours before, like PB Blaster, and warming the engine might help too. They are always tight. Shame the manifold bolts don't stay like that.

Back