• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny line leak

Burchie

NAXJA Forum User
Leaking at the fitting. What's the best option here?
:cheers:

trannyline.jpg

1.) pull the line off the jeep.
2.) use a tubing cutter to cut the crimp fitting off, leaving as much of the steel line as possible.
3.) cut rubber hose as close to the crimp as possible.
4.) push hose onto steel line, secure with 2 hose clamps (double clamping it will help ensure it doesnt leak)
5.) get a new line at some point.

if you have a flaring tool you can flare the end of the steel tube, that will also help to keep it from slipping off/leaking. Don't half ass it and cut the end off with a hacksaw, you'll leave burrs and make metal dust, which will eventually make its way into the transmission. I fixed mine this way 5 years ago and its still holding up just fine.

What part are we talking about getting new? The whole line from the tranny, to the cooler, or just a new fitting?
you can't replace just the fitting, it's crimped onto the hose. A new hose assembly would come ready to put on with the crimp fittings on both ends. you could cut the crimp fitting off and then get a fitting to go into trans or cooler, but your hose is going to end up too short.

Last edited:
I don't see a fitting in that picture..but I see a crimp. You can carefully cut the crimp off and replace the rubber trans line or just replace the whole thing. Get some new trans fittings if you replace the line cause they leak when you touch them.

Get rid of the steel line all together. Due to the quick disconnects at the tranny and cooler lines it is only a matter of time before you have problems there.

What I did was buy 2 threaded barbs for the trans, 10 feet 3/8 trans cooler hose. Remove all steel lines at the disconnects, 1 to radiator and 1 to cooler. Each 1 will have a rib where the disconnect locks on. Use as a barb and slide the rubber hose over so you can install 2 hose clamps. Then install you new fittings with barbs on the trans, hook up lines and you should be good for years to come and no leaks. This also helps so that you don't have to worry about rocks flatting your steel lines (I had this happen), and they flex easy.

I agree with SWelte.

My XJ has what's left of the metal lines running about halfway up the oil pan (back to front). From that point on, it's all rubber. Has not leaked in years, not a drop. I never had to double clamp.

^^ looks great, hope you flared the ends of those metal lines lightly though, else you're just waiting for some bad luck before the rubber line pops off.

I used new OEM style lines from Dorman because I like the way they are preformed to stay out of the way, but if they rust out again I'm probably doing the same thing you did.

^^ looks great, hope you flared the ends of those metal lines lightly though, else you're just waiting for some bad luck before the rubber line pops off.

I used new OEM style lines from Dorman because I like the way they are preformed to stay out of the way, but if they rust out again I'm probably doing the same thing you did.

Yep, flared all the way around. The brass fittings are also flared with flare fittings and hose barbs. The cooler side...well, I put in a aftermarket cooler since I took that picture, that has barbs on the end of the fittings.

The radiator link is bypassed, tranny to cooler, back to tranny. I originally did this because the "quick connect" fitting blew off on a trail 20 miles from pavement, I had no choice.

I just purchased a full transmission coolant line for $30 from Shucks. It's way higher quality than the stock lines and the process of uninstalling and installing the new one doesn't look that bad.

Back