• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE question

97xjsam

NAXJA Forum User
Got the vibes after 3.5" Metalcloak lift was installed. Nothin else changed except lift with same 235 tires. New motor n tranny mounts. It's a 5 speed manual with 231 case. Wondering if anyone has done the hack n tap with front shaft for this set up? Or the tailshaft change and front driveshaft used for that matter?

Got the vibes after 3.5" Metalcloak lift was installed. Nothin else changed except lift with same 235 tires. New motor n tranny mounts. It's a 5 speed manual with 231 case. Wondering if anyone has done the hack n tap with front shaft for this set up? Or the tailshaft change and front driveshaft used for that matter?

I don't know what the metal cloak lift nets out at, but my 3.5 RE lift caused my jeep to be undrivable because of driveshaft bind. I'm guessing it netted out around 5" of actual lift. I needed 1.5" TC drop to get it home from my friends house.

I went with a SYE and it solved it and I'm running a stock from DS in the rear.

I'd do SYE kit over hack and tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw you have a 97, which means you have the Chrysler 8.25. Depending on if your front shaft is stock or not, you may or may not be able to run it in the back. I had a few front DS on hand and only one fit after the SYE because the nose of the 8.25 is longer. The other shafts were too long.

He could just as easily have a D35.

Just as easily?

From my understanding all 97+ had 8.25, I guess unless it was replaced?

Regardless of what you have, the nose length is different between a 8.25 and D35. It makes a difference. All I'm saying.

I don't know where you got that from? They used both till the demise of the XJ!

I don't know where you got that from? They used both till the demise of the XJ!

I guess I falsely assumed that when the 29 spline 8.25 was introduced in 97 the D35 went away. I thought that was the reason for the slow progression from the weak D35 in early models, to the 27 spline 8.26 that was no stronger, then to the 29 spline 8.25 in 97+.

I guess it's possible for jeep to throw a 35 in a 97+, but I wouldn't think it would be standard equip.

I had a 98 with a limited slip 35.

But as far as your drive shaft, I think you'll need a longer shaft than a stock front off an XJ since you have a AX15. I used the front shaft off a 95 ZJ V8 and it fit just about perfect with my 96 manual 8.25. I didn't use a hack n tap though, I did an advanced adapters SYE.

I guess I falsely assumed that when the 29 spline 8.25 was introduced in 97 the D35 went away. I thought that was the reason for the slow progression from the weak D35 in early models, to the 27 spline 8.26 that was no stronger, then to the 29 spline 8.25 in 97+.

I guess it's possible for jeep to throw a 35 in a 97+, but I wouldn't think it would be standard equip.

If I'm not mistaken........

The D35 was retained in the later years for XJs with anti-lock brakes.

An SYE should also have axle shims.

1997-01 the D35 is more common that the Chry 8.25. No XJ Chry 8.25 had anti-lock brakes.

This is interesting convo. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an XJ from 97-01 with a D35 in person. There's lots of info out there about when axles were introduced, but not discontinued.

Also, for the shim question, I have 4 degrees in there and it's fine with an old worn out driveshaft.

On mine I had to get a new driveshaft, the front ones are too short, but you can snag an adams offroad shaft either from them, or some ebay stores have them for cheap, I had mine within 4 days of ordering, and it was like $230 shipped

Also, I used 4* shims and the only vibes it gets is from the H&T style SYE, and I barely notice them, but you can do a t-case drop and maybe shim the rear axle and be fine to, just depends on how much more you wanna spend.

Just not wantin to do a TC drop. Think I'll save for the SYE. Would like to do the 2 low kit too but I would think that would be a bunch mor money...
Just
Emptied
Every
Pocket

Back