• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC 3" Lift - Sagging Leafs? Need opinions on where to go from here.

nwatters

NAXJA Forum User
Long time lurker, first time poster - I truly appreciate all of the info I've gotten from NAXJA during these first couple of years with my first XJ (by far my best vehicle purchase ever) and hope to be a little more active on the forums in the future.

Anyway, here's a rundown of my current setup and issues:

'99 XJ, 3" RC Series II lift (full leaf packs) (and YES, I now know better...should have gone OME out of the gate), 1/2" or 1" shackles, shackle relocation kit. The shackles and relocation kit were added almost a year after the lift was installed, in hindsight probably as a bandaid for sagging springs.

This is what the leafs look like as of today:

32907517104_b138fc36a2_b.jpg
[/url]

32907517304_02f4120e6c_b.jpg
[/url]

32907517504_acc3e07985_b.jpg
[/url]

In the back full time is a cargo box with recovery gear and tools (100-ish lbs total). Shouldn't I be able to to carry that without this happening to my springs?

I can probably warranty the springs through RC, but do I really want to? Won't they just sag again?

Is there something I can do to remedy this problem without getting another entire lift kit?

I also hate the harsh ride of the RC kit, and to be honest the fronts seem to be sagging a bit too, so do I just toss it all out the window and start over?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I swaped my rc leaf packs for a set of used ome leaf packs recently. They ride and flex great, and don't sag all that much. I've also heard some good things about bastard packs using Chevy s10 leafs.

I had the same set of springs and switched to OME after encountering the same problem. RC stuff was of much lower quality...will not buy again. OME is stiff, bit seems to ride better with some gear in the back.

My opinion before you buy new springs is to get an xj main leaf, cut the eyes off of it and throw it in under the main spring in your RC pack.

If it still feel like garbage then shop for some IRO springs or something with a good pack with at least five leafs in them.

FYI springs with a ton of arch in them perform poorly off-road. It isn't bad to have a leaf spring pack that is close to flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back