NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 26th, 2018, 11:29
NAXJA Member

Re: PRP seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTProuhet View Post
@dajudge you went with daily drivers? Do you have or could you snap a pic of the mounting brackets and a pic of the seats in your jeep? I can get away with regular width, (I sat in a buddies lj with daily drivers) but the wide ones would fit my rear end better.
I have the reclining Daily Drivers. I will try to get a pic posted tonight. I am NOT thin and the regular ones are great!
Old January 26th, 2018, 18:21
PSR Fire Marshall

OK, let's see if I can post some pictures of the installation.

PRP Slide assembly, not included with Daily Driver seats
IMGP5493 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Adjustability is why I bought the PRP brackets.
IMGP5494 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Test fitting custom mount to the PRP slides.
IMGP5492 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Passenger side welded in
IMGP5496 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Driver side welded in and primered

IMGP5499 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Heat insulation installed
IMGP5507 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Passenger side carpet installed, and ready to mount seat.
IMGP5515 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Driver side carpet installed, and ready to mount seat.
IMGP5516 by david_bricker, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, I don't have handy pictures of the seats themselves, but they are a standard PRP Daily Driver seat in tan, with lumber support. I have found them really quite comfortable.

David Bricker / SYR
Gomer - '95 XJ, 2 dr. 4.6L Russ Pottenger Stroker; Novak TJ AX-15; Black Box 2.72:1 + 241OR 4:1; RockJock 60 Front, hydro assist, Hi-steer; D60 trussed and shaved rear; 4.56 ARB Front and Rear; Black Magic discs, Bilstein 7100s front and rear; 35s; PRP seats; Warn PowerPlant winch, hybrid cage. Annd, the Faux Dorkle is gone.
National Treasurer 2013-2019
Not a member? Become one today, and help support YOUR club.
Old January 26th, 2018, 19:36
Mostly Harmless

Now I have one more reason I need to spend some quality time with Gomer.

It looks like if it were not for the T-case bump (extra bump at that) you might be able to mount these seats a bit lower than what you have done. How does your current, PRP, seat height compare to the factory seat height? I ask because overhead clearance is a bit of an issue for me, and at the rate they are growing it is going to be an even bigger issue for The Varmints.
Old January 26th, 2018, 20:07
PSR Fire Marshall

Yeah, the bump is to accommodate the fact that the 241OR sits 8" further to the rear now.

I never had factory seats in Gomer. I bought it with nasty "racing"seats that were horribly uncomfortable they way the were installed. The previous owned was very tall, and had moved the factory front mount crossmember rearward about 5". So, nothing stock would have fit easily anyway.

These seats are, I believe, pretty close to stock ride height. I'm only 5' 10", but I can have the seat nearly vertical for offroad visibility, and I don't come close to the headliner.

David Bricker / SYR
Gomer - '95 XJ, 2 dr. 4.6L Russ Pottenger Stroker; Novak TJ AX-15; Black Box 2.72:1 + 241OR 4:1; RockJock 60 Front, hydro assist, Hi-steer; D60 trussed and shaved rear; 4.56 ARB Front and Rear; Black Magic discs, Bilstein 7100s front and rear; 35s; PRP seats; Warn PowerPlant winch, hybrid cage. Annd, the Faux Dorkle is gone.
Old January 26th, 2018, 20:14
PSR Fire Marshall

One of the other things I did when mounting the seats is to move the passenger seat mount further forward, by about 3", then the original location. Being a 2 door, access into the rear seats is always an issue. With the old seats (not stock), I could barely get a medium ice chest in the back.

Now, with the PRP seats, I can slide the passenger seat forward, and tilt it such that it contacts the dash, enabling a much easier access in to the back seat. Of course, now's that pesky roll cage horizontal bar to have to do the Mambo under, but hey, I do't have to sit in the back seat. About the only bennie of being the owner.

Even with the seat mount moved forward, there is enough travel in the seat slide to have plenty of legroom for the passenger.

David Bricker / SYR
Old January 26th, 2018, 21:53
Mostly Harmless

Thank you for the details.

I have to catch up with Gomer and check these out firsthand.

For the amount of time I spend in my XJ I can easily justify some better quality seats.
Old January 28th, 2018, 06:47
NAXJA Member

Awesome pics David! Thank you.
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

When I installed some suspension seats in my '95. I built off my factory sliders. I needed the seats to tilt forward because of access to the rear (2dr).

Old January 30th, 2018, 08:16
NAXJA Member

Got mine ordered yesterday. Went ahead and ordered the brackets just to be done with it. They said they'll be shipped in 2.5 weeks from ordering then however long it takes to ship. Will be in, just in time for Winterfest! If I could figure out how to post pics from my phone I'd post pics of the color combo I went with
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:38
NAXJA Member

PRP seats

Here we go. (I forgot about Tapatalk app. I was accessing the forum via Chrome) these are what I went with. Not over the top. Nice and subtle. I like the look of no piping. In my opinion the piping makes them look like a toddler carseat

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:49
Mostly Harmless

It is fun to play around with their site.

I am liking the look of this:

Although I want it taller than it shows. There are +2" and +4" options.

I wonder how the width of the Enduro compares to the Daily Driver.

PRP isn't all that far from me. I should give them a call and figure out what it would take to check out some of these seats firsthand.
Old January 30th, 2018, 19:58
PSR Fire Marshall

Hmmm, I thought mine were Daily Drivers, but they are the reclining model, as I have a two door. Also love the adjustability.

David Bricker / SYR - YYZ
Old February 13th, 2018, 15:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
I pulled the trigger on a custom pair of their daily driver high back seats. I bought some pre-fabbed brackets awhile back from Blondjon. I should be getting the seats in ~3 weeks (they said 2-4 weeks to build/make and i ordered them about 8 days ago). I WILL be posting some detailed pics of the install in my build thread. I will snap some pics of the brackets that Blondjon made, they are sitting out in my workshop. $110 doesn't seem too bad of a price though for both brackets, might not be worth building some.
Hey @clydefrog did you get your seats yet?

Old February 13th, 2018, 16:10
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTProuhet View Post
Hey @clydefrog did you get your seats yet?

That's really funny you ask, UPS just dropped off a nice package today!

I will be doing a write-up in the next week in my build thread on how the install goes with a bunch of pics. I will def keep you posted (may even put them in tonight).

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old February 13th, 2018, 16:58
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
That's really funny you ask, UPS just dropped off a nice package today!

I will be doing a write-up in the next week in my build thread on how the install goes with a bunch of pics. I will def keep you posted (may even put them in tonight).

Thats awesome! Those look good! I can't wait for mine. What was your total wait time? I'm going on 2 weeks this last Monday