• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone weld d30 inner C's onto a ford 9"

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
plan on doing a Hi 9 front like currie does anyone know if they use stock d30 Cs for their XJ "C"s on their front 9" for an XJ?
just looking for any input before i get started, hoping i can get awayw ith cutting them off the 30 and welding them to the tubes on the 9.

Are you taking that rear axle I saw and fabricating a front? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you would have to bore the opening to the larger diameter tube. I just picked up a locked waggy 44 and am adding a bracket set that is being plasma cut off a Rubi JK 44 busted housing (which you could have the inner C's off if you wanted them... I believe they would work).

revork ill take those C's if you dont want them, i look into them to see if they work.
i already installed the rear hi pinion 9". i plan on buidling a front hi-9 way cheaper than the currie ones(3-4K)

you can get ford 9" on craigslist for 100-100$ all the time. get a free XJ front 30.
cut the ford tubes down to XJ length.

it seems then to bore out the inner Cs from the 30 to fit the 9" tubes

then move everything over from a stock 30 housing that i can salvage(coil buckets etc) , then add a truss and UCA mounts. ( i was thinking of chopping up a TNT truss with uca mounts maybe)

then wait and save up and buy a hi-9 third from that hi-9 company online or even currie (or get lucky and find one online used somewhere)
this is the most expensive part and i would wait like a hawk for it.

unless anyone knows where to source cheap high pinon 9" thirds. i know currie uses newer reverse cut gears, i heard they come stock on some newer fords...

then throw in a 35 spline detroit and 4.88s with 35 spline chromos - if i cant find a local shop to cut and spline some custom shafts then currie sells them for like 189$ each (inner and outer each 189$..whew...)
then i could sell my built front 30 locked with 4.88s/truetrac/ruffstuff cover/outer tube seals/etc and also sell my spare entire front 30 open with 4.88s to try to cut down overall project cost down.

Jon-
The Currie's are actually reverse cut 8.8's using 9 inch carriers and housings with their extremely expensive third member (Yours is quite a find). If you do a "True Hi-9" I would move the Currie to the front (It's a drop-out afterall) where it will be stronger. The "True Hi-9" is significantly stronger as it is engineered from the ground up and is a genuine hi pinion 9 inch ring gear built for competition and designed to run front or rear. BIG money though.

Here is a good alternative that would be way cheaper in an HP44 housing and probably as strong as the Currie: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=948996

The second alternative is my eventual plan for my Waggy front- http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957491

yah i was assuming they butt welded the inner Cs but i was wondering if the Cs ID needed to be bored out at all or not. i was just thinking this up while at work. ill put the dial calipers to my 9" and to my 30 and see what the difference in the tubing is to see if there is enough material to safely remove it and weld it up. if so my dads friend has a lathe i can use and a couple mig and tig welded i can use all set up with gas etc . he also have an oxy torch to cut off bracketry.

yah im aware the currie uses 8.8 reverse cur gears.
http://www.truehi9.com/

i was also thinking about a 8.8 high pinion
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/88highpinion.htm

but i dont know if 4.88s or 35 spline detroits are available for the HP 8.8.

Don't get me wrong the Currie is plenty strong up to 37's! And very light! Moser makes a 35 spline spool and axles, but that is all that I know of. I am not really sure why with all the 8.8's out there??? By the way, if you look closely the 2nd link is just Randy Lymon of Yukon's description of a Currie.

Last edited:
well my 9" rear has a 35 spline detroit so im wondering where it came from

well my 9" rear has a 35 spline detroit so im wondering where it came from

It's a 9" Detroit carrier (as you know)... the 8.8 HP R&P will bolt to it and the Currie 3rd member works with it, including a very trick oiling system, but an HP 8.8 inch housing has no such animal (except the Moser) designed for it as far as I know. The real problem is that carrier is ingenious, custom and expensive.

Your axle is sick... I don't know if you noticed the drool on it after I found out you got the Jeep it was in for $1500 and then parted it out. :rattle: Definitely your best deal ever!

Jon- Just picked up the busted Rubi axle housing. You can come get the C's anytime, or arrange a parts train.

Back