• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission shifts into overdrive to early

jeeptx23

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and couldn't find much on this. I have a 2001 cherokee with a 4.0 and automatic. At times it seems to shift into overdrive when i get to about 45mph. It drops the rpms down to about 1400 and it seems like it is lugging the engine until i get up to highway speeds. I have not made any mods to this jeep yet and still have factory size tires on it. If i hit the brakes the tcc will unlock but as soon as i let off it upshifts again. Anybody else having this problem or know the fix? Thanks, Adam

With light pedal pressure, light load in the XJ and on flat ground, 45 is about right +/- . If you want to shift out of OD just release the pedal then pedal again. It works every time. Try to drive faster or select 3 to avoid that (although in 3, it will also shift into OD except that it will have a bit more RPM's).

I just figured if it was shifting properly it would be doing it all of the time. I have been driving in third around town and only put it in overdrive when I know I will be getting on the highway. I just doesnt feel right or sound right if you know what I mean. Because once it locks up if i slow down to 35mph it still stays in OD

It should not stay locked at 35 MPH. What happens if you were to release the go pedal and press it again, or just press harder? Would it down shift then?

I too would look at the TPS.

? I'm Confused. I always put it into Overdrive where ever. Am I not supposed to or what? Whats the proper way to use that tranny.? 99 4.0.

? I'm Confused. I always put it into Overdrive where ever. Am I not supposed to or what? Whats the proper way to use that tranny.? 99 4.0.

I could see no right or wrong way to use a properly operating AW4, just shift it into 'D' and drive the XJ to your destination. Unless I am looking to play games with my XJ, I do not shift out of 'D' or use the pedal to force it to shift;... then again I spend most of my time on the highway using cruise control.

Park, Drive, Reverse. All you need! Even if you are going 35MPH to the corner store. That is why it is called an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. Mud pit or hillclimb, you might want to play with the other options.

Back