• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj nearly shutting off after startups...

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
After starting the 99" in the morning and accelerating between 5-10mph, my Jeep feels like its about to die, almost like when you're running out of gas. For a few seconds it hesitates, the rpm's drop a little, but when you give it more gas the thing takes off really fast out of nowhere. This has been a problem for a while now but it is becoming more frequent, almost every time after I start it up. Is it time for a new fuel pump or is something clogged up possibly?

I am almost sure mine will be a different problem, but mine is doing the same lately. I know there is no o2 sensor, but up until now its been fine with out it. my fuel pump is unusually loud lately aswell. I will be interested to hear the remedy

How old is your battery? A weak battery in a late model can cause all kinds of havoc. Even if it turns over fast and starts ok, the bad(or going bad) battery will cause low idle problems, stalling, and hesitation. Once you get moving, the problem disappears.

My '00 started displaying weird idle/low speed problems, and kept it up for over 3 months before I noticed any usual indication of a weak battery.

I have a 98 that had the same problems, especialy after a hot soak. i hooked up a fuel pres. guage and it was at 23-25psi, a little weak. Put a fuel pump in and it did the trick for me.

Back