• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 fuel filter & shift lock question???

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the 1990 had a shift lock, requiring you to have your foot on the brake before you can put into gear, or did the PO disconnect it?

I am thinking of replacing the fuel filter, anything special to look for or check? should I use a factory filter?

Thanks in advance....
Bob:flipoff:

cherokee4fun said:
I was wondering if the 1990 had a shift lock, requiring you to have your foot on the brake before you can put into gear, or did the PO disconnect it?

I am thinking of replacing the fuel filter, anything special to look for or check? should I use a factory filter?

Thanks in advance....
Bob:flipoff:

A Wix will be just fine - I don't recall the part number. It should come with two little hose stubs - replace them. If it doesn't come with the stubs, just fork over for a foot or so of 5/16" fuel line - put the part you don't use in your tool box for next time.

There "should" be an interlock there, but I'm not sure. It doesn't work on my 1989 Limited - I can shift all over without the brakes. On the other 89 and the 87, you have to hit the brakes. I think it was added as a recall, but I'm not sure (and my memory gets very fuzzy on this point...)

I know my 87 did not have the interlock, and I'm pretty sure the 89 I took apart for parts did not either, but there was a recall, so many will have it installed. But I don't know when it was officially installed at the factory. Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure whether my stepson's 93 had it. I'll have to email my daughter (who now has that one) to refresh my memory, but she is a poor correspondent, so I don't know when or whether I'll find out.

My 1990 didnt but there was a recall done on it that added it. FWIW.
-Collin

If the fuel filter doesn't come with hose check it while at the parts store. My 90' had two diff. sizes on the filter, might as well grab a foot of each while at the store.
The bad part of the job will be getting the old filter off,if its rusted it will be hard. I had to "wire tie" my new filter up to get it out of the way when the old one wouldn't break, temp fix, don't leave it like that.
www.teamcheroke.com has a new fuel filter retainer clamp if you want a new one....$3.95

Back