• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 inches and 33s

john

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have pictures of 33 inch tires with 4.5 inch lift? how much trimming do I need? also I am mounting on 15x8 rock crawlers

john said:
anyone have pictures of 33 inch tires with 4.5 inch lift? how much trimming do I need? also I am mounting on 15x8 rock crawlers

how much trimming relates on how much up travel you'll want as well as how much list will the 4.5" kit give you. I kind of have the 4.5" kit from RE (didn't buy it as a kit) with a spacer and an MJ shackle in the back and I stuff the 33's all the way up up front but I trimmed it pretty well as well. Rear the previous owner trimmed out too much (oh well) as the springs don't allow you for as much travel as the coils.
Part of your choice will be getting the shock that you want as well as the backspacing. After you assemble all those parts checkout your travel and decide if you wanna put a bumpstop extension or trim.

Oh and the 4.5" includes longer control arms or not?

this is the RE 4.5" sper-flex kit with a 3/4" spacer on the front coils, and 300# of junk in the rear.. sits evenly at 5.5" after a full summer of abuse... the MT/Rs are 33x12.50s on 15x8 Cragar wheels.. if i ran a narrow 33 i probably wouldnt need to cut the front so high, but without longer bumpstops in the front i stuff them all the way up into the inner wells and rub the shock tower.... i get very little flare rubbing in the rear but no hard contact.

standard

This what I will be running next week, looking at it it doesnt look like I will need to trim to gawd awful much. I will post pics when I do it.

sidriptide said:
this is the RE 4.5" sper-flex kit with a 3/4" spacer on the front coils, and 300# of junk in the rear.. sits evenly at 5.5" after a full summer of abuse... the MT/Rs are 33x12.50s on 15x8 Cragar wheels.. if i ran a narrow 33 i probably wouldnt need to cut the front so high, but without longer bumpstops in the front i stuff them all the way up into the inner wells and rub the shock tower.... i get very little flare rubbing in the rear but no hard contact.

standard

is rusted on the rocker panels?

herreraxto said:
or what happen its because i have the same problem

those are custom rockers.. modified by my good friend GRANITE BOULDER.. thats what happens when you dont install rockrails because your rockers are totally rusted out..

i should be getting mine tomorrow and i run about 4" i will try to remember to post pics

Exremewlr - I dig your XJ. Looks really nice and functional. How tough was it to cut your rear flares like that to make use of them with the rear doors? How are you liking the lift? Are you happy you bought the 4.5 inch lift as a kit instead of using the 3.5 inch kit with some upgraded parts?

Kevin

Harvo said:
Exremewlr - I dig your XJ. Looks really nice and functional. How tough was it to cut your rear flares like that to make use of them with the rear doors? How are you liking the lift? Are you happy you bought the 4.5 inch lift as a kit instead of using the 3.5 inch kit with some upgraded parts?

Kevin

I used a box knife to cut the rear flares. Just zip tied them on in the position I wanted them and then used a marker to outline the cut to clear the rear doors. Not too hard to do really.

I like the RE lift. I got it used when I purchased another XJ for parts so I didn't even have to look around at other lifts. If I was buying a new lift (starting from scratch again) I would probably have gone with a 5.5" lift instead of the 4.5" just to get the extra clearance. I plan on eventually going to 35" tires.

With the setup you have now, do your tires rub anywhere? Your fenders are cut pretty liberally. With what you know now, do you think the 5.5 inch lift would require cutting sheetmetal anywhere besides the front of the tire just under the turn signal?

Harvo said:
With the setup you have now, do your tires rub anywhere? Your fenders are cut pretty liberally. With what you know now, do you think the 5.5 inch lift would require cutting sheetmetal anywhere besides the front of the tire just under the turn signal?

I need to trim more from the front fenders by the doors for the 33" tires. That is the only rubbing I am getting so far. This may change tho as I am going to different rims with 3.75" backspacing instead of the current 4" backspacing I have now.

Even with the 5.5" lift, I would have done the same fender trimming that I have now.

for reference, here's the RE 4.5" kit w/ 32s (perfect fit)... no trimming here but i did swap out the late model front bumper caps for a set of early ones (cuz that was where i rubbed).

DSCN5155.jpg

(going up to 5.5" and 34s in about 2 weeks-- just trimmed this weekend!)
:D

go with the 4.5 and 33's thats what i am running right now on my 4.5 re and it works great. i didnt touch the rear fenders and the only rub the top of the tire at crazy angles and the fronts are cut a desent amount. i have pics just view my profile and go to my car domain.

shaun

Canopener... do your tires come out to or past the edge of the bushwhackers? I'm looking at the same setup you have but with the RE 4.5 lift. Did you have to "hoolow out" the inner lip of the Bushwhacker or did you use them as is?

Thanks
Kevin
TN

if I got the RE 5.5 and fenders trimmed what tire size would go best with that lift? I think it would be nice to go with the 34s but what companies make 34 inch tires?

xjfrancis said:
if I got the RE 5.5 and fenders trimmed what tire size would go best with that lift? I think it would be nice to go with the 34s but what companies make 34 inch tires?

Interco Super Swamper LTB comes in a 34x10.50.. i want them but dont want to lift the extra inch to run them...

Back