• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine noise - rattle at high rpms

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 has 79k on it. I bought it a month or so ago with 76K. Runs great.

I noticed at idle that there is a slight rythmic 'thump' noise. Im pretty sure it is piston slap, but havent gotten under and listened with a scope yet.

I noticed a few times under hard accel at high rpms just as the tranny shifts a slight rattle (like loose rockers). Last night I was driving around and left it in 1 and held it at a high rpms and definitally heard a rattle noise. I havent gotten under the hood to check it out, or tryed to make it happen more than this one time.

I have 10-40 in it I think, I will definitally run 10-40 on the change this weekend. Pressure seems good (according to the guage :ha,ha:). I did run half a quart of atf in it on the last oil change (first since I owned) to add some more detergent to the oil. Engine otherwise runs great. I was thinking spark knock or ping, but I have to investigate more.

Anyone have any insite??? I have a 90 day warrenty from the seller, which is getting close.... any advice is welcome.
Thanks
mike

Back